Author Topic: Blimey BDM VIC " I HATE CHANGE "MUST BE OLD.  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Dirtypaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blimey BDM VIC " I HATE CHANGE "MUST BE OLD.
« on: Tuesday 19 February 19 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all ...just had a look at BDM VIC AUST site .Just trying to confirm is it just me!!!! :'( :'( Craig?
Nicholls
Walsh
Beswick
Pritchard
Pugh
Kofoed

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Blimey BDM VIC " I HATE CHANGE "MUST BE OLD.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 06:41 GMT (UK) »
yikkes.

I agree just had a look..can't do a broad search..some uni student got paid a lot of money to do that to us oldies..
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Nightmare.... or is it just me!  Deaths don’t have mothers Christian name...

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 23:13 GMT (UK) »
And, did you know that babies born in Victoria in the 1860s and 1870s, were born without MOTHERS ... well at least that's how the index for the birth of my Great Grandfather's older siblings are recorded.   

I think so many websites, not just family history, but across the broad range of commercial websites ... well I think they must go into some kind of 'meltdown' if they are not being constantly re-worked by their I T departments ... and so often I see that those I T experts really are determined to prove that being an IT expert is simply being a drip and a spurt under pressure. 

It takes many many many IT spurts to change the 'light globe' and sometimes they pull the chair out from under their own feet and don't realise it until someone reminds them of the 'Emperor's New Clothes' ....  http://www.honolulutraffic.com/Emperors.pdf 

"Listen to the innocent one," said the proud father. And the people whispered among each other and repeated what the child had said.  "He doesn't have anything on. There's a little child who says that he has nothing on." "He has nothing on!" shouted all the people at last.The emperor shivered, for he was certain that they were right; but he thought, "I must bear it until the procession is over." And he walked even more proudly, and the two gentlemen of the imperial bedchamber went on carrying the train that wasn't there

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Don't blame the IT department. Very often these changes are mandated by managers with no IT or web design experience, simply because they want a more modern appearance or just because they're bored with the old one.

Think about it, the IT department has to work with and support these new websites so why would they put themselves through all the bugs, errors, complaints and user queries if they didn't have to?
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Change is fine , Change occurs , I accept change and all its myriad benefits

But the new Vic BDM site is a dogs breakfast and worse than before

Search is limited. Open ended date searching is gone , date must be entered. Number of returns are limited DUE to the site returning double entries using both parents in mirror format. The names are higgledy piggledy and dont follow form ie fathers name may be left or right and then turn about when it mirrors.

It was fine as it was
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 19 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't know what all the changes are - haven't used it for awhile.
However I'm trying to reach the Family History page - push all the right buttons to get there.  Says it's loading I'm waiting - waiting - waiting and nothing happens.
Could some kind person offer some help.  Possibly it is my end - because I have to use my old Win XP computer - with Firefox or Chrome browsers - unfortunately Chrome do not support Win XP anymore.
The reason I'm using XP is because my Win 7 has conked out and my son-in-law has taken it away to repair.
It's so frustrating I really need to search for a birth record - 1914?.

Sarra

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
they do the oddest of things,  but the website now is :

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 February 19 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Over the last couple of days I have had to try a few times before the Search Page actually appears.   The reduction in information given makes it quite a bit harder to determine which actual index entry may be the correct one - age was a great discriminator when searching for John Smiths!

Back to the microfische - it may be quicker and provide more information :)