Author Topic: Dunstan Family in Geduld Spring and Florida Roodepoort Johannesburg  (Read 1415 times)

Offline michelle iddon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunstan Family in Geduld Spring and Florida Roodepoort Johannesburg
« on: Tuesday 19 February 19 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find out about my family who were miners in Cornwall and Ulverston Cumbria/Lancashire, who emigrated to South Africa.

One was my Great Great Grandfather - William Daniel Ripper Dunstan and he married a lady called Mary Ellen ?
They had a daughter called Cissie who married somebody called ? Hith. He died 16th July 1932 aged 77 and 2 months and was buried in Geduld Old Cemetery.

Also my Great Great Uncle Alfred Pearce Dunstan who had 3 wives - 1. Margaret Brocklebank 2. Elizabeth Sophia Mills and 3. Elizabeth Moreham Murie

He had 2 children with Margaret - Mary Tyson Dunstan/Hall Edith Maggie Dunstan/Venter who were alive in 1936 when he died.

his other children with Elizabeth Sophia Mills were 1 Edwin Henry James Dunstan, Alfred Pearce Dunstan, Percy John Dunstan and Dorothy Maud Dunstan.

Alfred lived in Florida Roodepoort

Best Wishes
Michelle

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunstan Family in Geduld Spring and Florida Roodepoort Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 09:01 GMT (UK) »
William Dunstan's widow was born Mary Ellen Wragg; his two daughters Cissie Hith and a Mrs Christopherson (married in England) were from a previous marriage. 

See https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS92-833S-3?i=918&cc=2520237
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Per online trees, William's first wife was Alice Dickinson; daughter Elizabeth Jane (presumably "Cissie") married George High in Ulverston in 1899; daughter Florence married Frederick Christopherson in Ulverston in 1907. There appear to be a number of other children from William's first marriage.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline michelle iddon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 19 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I will look into the Wragg family. I am trying to ascertain if William was a bigamist or whether he divorced Alice, before this marriage took place. He came back to England in 1928 with his wife, but visited relatives in York and did not seem to go to Ulverston. We know that 1928 was a year after Alice had died.

I had not clicked that Cissie was Elizabeth Jane High, but I can see it was. Thank you have all his other children from his marriage to Alice. I am really intrigued with the South African connection

Best WIshes

Michelle

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a picture of Williams grave? If not here it is http://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=4137695
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Here is the marriage of Ellen to William on the 4th March 1927 in Johannesburg. His age estimated is 71 and Ellens age is 48 estimated. https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?&count=20&offset=0&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22mary%20ellen%22~%20%2Bsurname%3Awragg~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22South%20Africa%22 You have to look at the marriage certificate as the transcriber has written Williams age as 41!!! Witnesses are Elizabeth and Alfred Dunstan.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline julietteblaauw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 July 21 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find information about Percy John Dunstan (born 1908) who married Olive Gwendoline Smith and had a child called Gwen Mills Dunstan in South Africa.

Thank you and regards,

Juliette

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 21 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find information about Percy John Dunstan (born 1908) who married Olive Gwendoline Smith and had a child called Gwen Mills Dunstan in South Africa.

Thank you and regards,

Juliette

Percy's full names were Percy John Mills Dunstan and his was born on 25/7/1908 to Alfred Pearce Dunstan and Elizabeth Sophia nee Mills.  Elizabeth died on 2/8/1919 and her estate file is on family search.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile