Author Topic: Isaac Redfern  (Read 1852 times)

Offline keithred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Redfern
« on: Tuesday 19 February 19 08:58 GMT (UK) »
German Redfern was christened in Morton, Derbyshire on 29th October 1707. He later married Sarah Newam. His father was called Isaac, but I cannot find any further reference to Isaac - except that there were two Isaac Redferns born in Ashover, one in 1661 and another in 1664 to different parents.
I should be glad to hear of any information of a link between Isaac and German that can take my family further back.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Redfern
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:02 GMT (UK) »
In the Morton Parish registers there are FIVE seemingly relevant Baptism..with Isaac Redfern named as father....and three of them have a mother Anne. You might think these to be two different families..but I'm sure they are not. In early baptisms the father may appear alone for any number of reasons..the wife was ill, or still recovering from the Birth
Iam certain that the following five children are yours because all six baptisms specifically say they were born at Brackenfield..a chapelry that did not achieve its own Parish records till 1827

ANNE daughter of Isaac and Anne bapt. 17.01.1698
ROBERT son of Isaac bapt. 08.01.1701
OBADIAH son of Isaac baptised08.08.1704
GERMAN son of isaac bapt 29.10.1707
THOMAS son of isaac and Anne baptised 12.12.1718

The only two burials at Morton are significant.being at Brackenfield   Isaac 30.09.1720 and Robert 18.12.1729

There are also two Baptisms for children of OBADIAH and MARY.. who were not married at Morton:
William Redfern bapt 13.02.1727   and Mary Redfern 25.01.1729
That is full extent of info to be gleaned from the Morton PR's..but I'll keep looking.
Your Ashover idea.might be relevant...............

Later:......getting somewhere?? OBADIAH REDFE(A)RN (!)....married MARY CANTRIL(L) at Ashover 009.09.1725..two different sources one of each spelling..I'm off to get my Aahover records out!!
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Me again...........the Ashover Parish Records are disappointing  firstly because Obadiah's son William died as an infant. i ave a burial for an Isaac 27.12.1741
There is only ONE baptism for an Isaac REDFEARNE son of Abraham and Mary 18.08.1661..I can't find any other.............There is an Isaac and Mary producing children 1687-1704 at Ashover.almost certainly the one born 1661  .but if this is yours..it sort of knocks out the Morton stuff....including
 German....
The only way I see this working is if Isaac 1661 married Mary and had the Ashover brood nad mary died and Isaac remarried Anne and had the five Morton children...........That's a bit La La Land i'm afraid..but I#m looking!! Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 21:27 GMT (UK) »
You may have to cast your net wider to include other sources of information other than parish registers keithred.

Have you looked for any wills that might be of the family?
I couldn't see one for an Isaac Redfern, but there is one for an Abraham Redferne of Ashover dated 28th Oct 1663. Surely the same family? You never know what might come to light in it.

Also this entry in The National Archives
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_dss=range&_ro=any&_q=%22isaac+redfearne%22+AND+derbyshire

which looks VERY interesting! Looks like a dispute between members of the 'Redfearne' family in Ashover. Definitely worth getting hold of I would think.

So  now looking back at the wills, there is one for a John Redferne at Ashover 2nd April 1672.
These wills should be on findmypast - they are in the 'Lichfield and Coventry Diocese' wills. which also covered Derbyshire.  (They used to be kept at Lichfield Record Office, which is now closed, and all the actual wills are held at Stafford Record Office).
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline keithred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
I am grateful for this further detail.  It begins to fill in a few gaps in my tree.

The German whose father was Isaac, has the right birthdate, so I know he is in my line.

I reckon that Isaac's wife was Anna Wheldon, who he married in Chesterfield on 17.2.1673.  Her father's name was Hugonis Wheldon.

Besides the Isaac born to Abraham and Mary in 1661, Family Search has an Isaac born in 1664 in Ashover to George Redfern, no mother listed, but you have offered reasons for that.

I have a clear history going back from me and my immediate ancestors in South Derbyshire, gradually moving north.   The only sticking point is which Isaac is in my line.  You clearly favour the 1661 Isaac, but while I know there is another, I am not certain.   Any information that might clarify this would be important to the search.

I shall follow the Ashover dispute and hope you find something about wills.

Another curiosity you might wish to delve into:  The German born in 1707 had a son, also called German, born 1739 in Stanley, my 4 greats grandfather.  I have seen his gravestone in Stanley churchyard and it is quite special, and probably very expensive.   Bearing in mind that most of my ancestors were ag. labs who moved into mining, moving south with work opportunities, an expensive gravestone does not fit.  I surmise that German was a successful farmer in his time, but I don't know if there are any Stanley records which might confirm that.

I am grateful for your help.  many thanks