Author Topic: Can someone help me with this?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help me with this?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Some of this has been covered in previous replies.

My paternal cousin and I obviously have 2 grandparents in common, approximately half of our DNA should come from these 2 people.

We have 26 shared matches as shown by ancestry, 4 are predicted as 3rd cousins and 22 are predicted as 4th to 6th cousins.

I have 215 4th to 6th cousins and closer, she has 242.

Looking at other matches and cM shared, it is easy to see how DNA from only 2 generations ago, our grandparents, has been very unevenly handed down.

In reality, we share many 5th to 8th cousins as well, not included in Ancestry's shared matches, and there are also many where one of us matches and the other doesn't. We have 2nd cousins who appear as 4 to 6 for me, don't appear at all for her.

It really is just the luck of the draw what DNA gets passed down.

I suggest you message H, you've got nothing to lose.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Igor

I'm not sure if you've used this before but it might help show you the range of possible relationships with a range of cMs

Just put the cM reading in the box and the probable relationships will show:

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Gadget

Yes, many thanks Gadget, I'd picked up that website from previous posts here, and my shared 66 cM with H suggest relationships as noted below:

33.01% Half 3C 3C1R Half 2C2R 2C3R as the most likely (with the 6th cousin or further relationships Marlene suggested as also possible falling into the just under 10% likelihood).

the 55 shared cM with P shows

29.17%Half 3C 3C1R Half 2C2R 2C3R.  The 5th-6th cousin or more distant here comes up as far more possible, with nearly 21% likelihood.

I will press on.......

many thanks for all the suggestions

Added:  yes, I concluded the same, Margaret, that there was nothing lost in messaging H and I've done so.  Hopefully she may be able to give more details.

P has accepted a link to the research tree I did for her, and I will press on with further research on the line which I share with M and H........
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »

When Ancestry adds a new strong match, it doesn't alert you to new "shares" with your existing but weaker matches. Sometimes, I have to trawl back through them all to see if anything has changed. This is where my notes become invaluable.

At first I only recorded those 4th to 6th cousins with shared matches but slowly more of them have become a cluster, especially once I entered the <20 cM realm. I suggest recording all strong matches.

I've been using a fairly new programme called Genetic Affairs for this, which saves a LOT of time.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
'I've been using a fairly new programme called Genetic Affairs for this, which saves a LOT of time.'

Isn't this the one about which there was a lot of discussion over how ethical this was as it needed to look up all your matches on Ancestry.

Is it now the consensus of opinion that it is ok to allow this program to do this?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I wish there was a smiley that looked like the bouncy little springy thingy on roundabout.. cos that is what DNA does to me..

Anyway

Last night :)   I had a peep at mine and found that I am definitely related to the TALLUCKS  zillions of them :)  are on my matches list..

need the same for Patricks   and thats my Paternals sorted.

then just a few more Yorks and Greens  Clarkes etc  and I can rest.

xin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there was a thread on here about it.  Some weren't happy that in order for the programme/website to do the autoclustering you had to provide your kit number and password.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there was a thread on here about it.  Some weren't happy that in order for the programme/website to do the autoclustering you had to provide your kit number and password.

Think it was this one

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804727.0
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »

Think it was this one

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804727.0

Thanks for posting this thread, Gadget.  I have read it, but remain unsure as to what to do with my DNA matches to progress further. 

I will continue to work onwards - at minimum it is ensuring that my tree is as wide as possible to pick up the remoter cousins and their connections to our shared ancestors.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Am I missing something here but is Ancestry doing clustering?  Have seen the Venn Diagram saying compare underneath where it says View Matches before but thought I'd give it a go tonight.

If, having clicked on it you scroll down the page to Shared Matches you get the top 6 matches in the group containing the person you actually used the venn diagram on, with the option to view further matches.  Each match gives you an estimate of the relationship, the shared cm length and a shortcut to the tree.

This is like the genetic affairs graph, only not so visual, isn't it?

Pheno

Modified:  No think I was too hasty here.  The shared matches in the section referred to above seem to be all the shared matches shown previously - not necessarily clustered around one particular common ancestor.  Its just that the first 3 or 4 of mine happened to be the same ancestor but subsequently they are not.

Sorry, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire