Author Topic: Anyone else get side tracked when researching their ancestors?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else get side tracked when researching their ancestors?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Roots Chatters 

wow

best ever at discovering and searching 

xin

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input.  I did have most of the info re Hoodless family and Hingley.  I should have thought about looking on Familysearch, I did look there for the death of the missing daughter but, of course, she didn't show up as she's been transcribed wrongly.

Still I've already bought the PDF certs now, but not to worry at least I'll find out if the mother died of a birth related illness or something else.  I don't think I need to research these families any further, as I mentioned earlier they not really related to me at all.

BumbleB - Thank you for the list of Hull church records that FindMyPast now have.  I noticed the other day that they now seem to have some E Riding of Yorkshire records.  It seems, however, that they don't have the years I'm interested in.

Xin - I agree.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Often that is the trouble, they release many new parish records for a county your ancestors lived in but the ones you want are "coming soon" or the ones they have for your parishes are too early or too recent.

I often do get sidetracked when doing ancestry. I am looking for one ancestor, then find that another ancestor witnesses a wedding, or find the elusive marriage of another ancestor.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I often do get sidetracked when doing ancestry. I am looking for one ancestor, then find that another ancestor witnesses a wedding, or find the elusive marriage of another ancestor.

I do that, I wonder if the witness (when not obviously just the parish clerk as he's the witness on lots of marriages) is the mother/sister/brother or other relation of one or other of the couple who have married.  It's what makes family history so addictive I suppose. 

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »

I do that, I wonder if the witness (when not obviously just the parish clerk as he's the witness on lots of marriages) is the mother/sister/brother or other relation of one or other of the couple who have married.  It's what makes family history so addictive I suppose.

Always research the witnesses. It is a bit peeving when the witnesses to the marriage of 2 elusive ancestors were regular witnesses such as the clerk/rector etc. I suppose we can expect too much from genealogy at times. But it is handy when you find your ancestor witnessing the marriage of someone with the same surname.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 19:07 GMT (UK) »

The problem with this family and many others that are closely related to me are that they were born/married/died in Hull and the majority of those records are not on line.  I don't know why E Yorkshire records aren't on line when most other counties are, but ours not to reason why.

Having lived in the lovely city of Hull, I might have gained a glimpse of insight  8)

The library there has like an entire floor dedicated to Genealogy!  ;D Dunno exactly what they've got there. My people weren't from Hull and I had my computer at home. But, yeah; I just got the impression this game was taken Very seriously there.

Maybe it's a cultural / community thing that they prefer to work from there? Maybe they hold the old records on paper or fiche?

Be fascinating to hear from a genuine native.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I have the genealogy attention span of a goldfish. I get distracted by occupations of neighbours, street names, contemporaneous events, famous people of the times, the transport, clothes, schools, Industry and more. I've learned so much by not paying attention!

Martin

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I started researching my family when computors were powered by steam and modems were dial up and took a week to get going.

During the course of this I put in a search for my maternal grandfather and found quite by chance a photo of his grandmother. This was on rootschat and ever since I've done as much for others if  not more instead of getting on with my own research.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 February 19 01:49 GMT (UK) »
I do get distracted when searching, although I never give more than a passing interest in families of partners, unless it is a smaller location; then there are often family connections from generation to generation.
I tend to fet distracted from my original search by things I find, or I start looking at locations or information on occupations. I know a lot more now about what confectioners did (more like a sweet baker), and I have read a lot about the history of veterinary science in England. I also have a pretty good mental map of southeast Devon and southwest Dorset, just from researching ancestors.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.