Author Topic: 'Wrong' name given at baptism?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Wrong' name given at baptism?
« on: Tuesday 19 February 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was called simply Kate (and registered as such), but she told me that her parents wanted her to be called Kathleen.  However, being unwell, they couldn't get to church for her baptism so 'Old Mrs Davis' took her instead and told the vicar her name was Kate!!  I didn't ask her any more details at the time, but have often wondered who this interfering Mrs Davis was.  In a way the story sounds unlikely, but why would my grandmother make it up?  Her parents obviously thought they had to stick with Kate.

Melbell

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Wrong' name given at baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I've got a copy of the church register where the vicar has entered the boy baby's name as the father and the father as the baby.  The parents then had a baby girl and the vicar even managed to interpolate the names again - which meant the dad was called Elizabeth  ;D   There was a handful of several younger babies but the same vicar managed to get their details right. Maybe his supply of whisky had run out lol
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - which was the earlier date - registration or baptism?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I've seen plenty of examples where the baptismal name differs from the registered name.  My grandmother was baptised Eleanor but registered as Ellen, which is the name she generally used.

Sometimes they can be very different.  I've established to my satisfaction that a child baptised as Sophia in 1805 was actually Elizabeth aka Betsy.  Can only guess why this happened - perhaps the vicar made a mistake or the parents just changed their minds.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
My Grandma was registered as Margaret Ann but on her marriage certificate her given name was Marguerite Ann.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors has the wrong given name in the 1770 baptism register. It was only when I checked the BTs that I located him.

The official "Baptism Register" turned out to be a copy of some lost original, along with old transcription errors. The given name had been copied from the child above, losing me a couple of years' research on this line.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
As Kate and Kathleen are both Katherine your grandma and her parents could have called her any of them, or something else entirely in everyday life. Perhaps Mrs Davis didn't like Irish-sounding names.
A 2x great-uncle was baptised John (a name from his father's family); his birth was registered under a different name - that of his mother's brother-in-law.  ???
Cowban

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:21 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor was baptised in 1864 as Mary Ann Katherine Roberts. When she wed in 1886 she said "Kate Roberts".
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
A girl I taught had a very unusual name & one day I asked her where it came from. She said  'my mum wanted it to be X' (A name I've never heard before or since) but my dad went to register me & got the spelling wrong so I've always been called Y'.

Simples!  ;D

My mum was called Agnes and she used to grumble because on every letter, birthday card etc my dad wrote 'My dearest Angus'  ;D ;D ;D  I suppose my brother & I should be grateful our names were easy to spell.
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area