Author Topic: Find a Grave corrections.  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Find a Grave corrections.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 March 19 18:36 GMT (UK) »
When I read Find a Grave I run for the hills. Oh the flashbacks ...

Blue

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 March 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I always intended to put photos and info that I have on that site along with photos if I have one, but have never got round to it. Now, having benefited  from valuable info from there, I will make the effort to put up what I can to help others. Has anyone else put anything on there?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 March 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I've put all the burials and cremations I have from my one name study on Findagrave, with family links and brief biographies of each person. They are also organised in to virtual cemeteries with the burials and cremations of people from the same family tree. I hope it helps some people.
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 March 19 19:15 GMT (UK) »

Most researchers expect Cemeteries to be photographed and online!

Just look at how many go to Cemeteries and couldn't be bothered even taking a few photos that might help others.............

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 March 19 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I must be one of the lucky ones and have found lots of distant rellies on Find a Grave and only once have I felt the need to contact the contributor. Sadly no reply.

But on the brighter side, only today I found a fairly recent burial for a lady who was a war bride, marrying a Canadian soldier and returned to Canada with him. She has been on the outer branches of my tree for a while and was doubtful I would find anything more about her.  Not only was her burial there, but a lovely photo plus photos of her memorial and her obit from the Calgary Herald 2011. All lovingly added by her grandson  :D
I knew nothing about her husband apart from his name and marriage details until today and now know so much more about him.

I am very grateful to all those that take time contribute.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 April 19 15:33 BST (UK) »
A bit of good news recently  :)
Found a relative's first wife on Find A Grave with mentions of two other husbands (I knew nothing of those marriages). Contacted the submitter with details of the marriage I have. Not only were they pleased/slightly shocked/dismayed at this marriage but she sent me loads of details about the woman, her family & both husbands, gave access to online tree and has added the correct information to said online tree. I in turn sent information I had found and discovered woman had at least one other husband (more shock and dismay for her relative). Of course neither of us have found any divorces (my relative married twice more after that one- 2nd wife died before 3rd marriage) and there is the matter of a small child who is only mentioned in newspaper report of criminal trial...  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 April 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
How refreshing to see that your good deed was rewarded with so much information  8) ...That's what makes Family History such fun...the sharing of info...but it needs to work both ways  8)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline SkySteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 February 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I always check the photo requests if I'm going to a cemetery as I have benefitted greatly from volunteers in the US and Australia.  They usually turn out to be unmarked plots but at least that's a conclusion for somebody.