Author Topic: Donohoe 1832 into Philadelphia  (Read 966 times)

Offline neilc78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donohoe 1832 into Philadelphia
« on: Tuesday 19 February 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've found a very interesting document showing an almost entire family related to me leaving Liverpool on the "gulnare" for Philadelphia in 1832. I've thought myself how to research Ireland but I'm a bit green on how to approach it from the US side.

On that boat was Edward Donohoe (father) his sons Thomas, David  and daughters alice, margaret and a fifth child whose 1st name is illegible.

So I'm looking for some direction on where to look next.

1- how do I find out if all passengers survived the trip
2- where they might have moved to.
3- marriages deaths etc

Thanks for your help.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Donohoe 1832 into Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Working downward, toward the present day, is harder.
The first stop would be the US Censuses. All of them are at familysearch.org. It's free to use, but you need to set up an account.

The 1840 census only lists heads of households, then composition by sex, age, and free vs slave. 1850 to either 1860 or 1870 list members of the household, but no relationship stated. After that, relationships are included. The information asked on the census varied from decade to decade, read all the columns.

You probably aren't going to find a lot of vital records. Some places recorded them in the 1800's, but they weren't required in the US until about 1900, someone else knows the exact year, I'm sure.

If you figure out where they settled, there are lots of newspaper archives online. Look for County biographical histories also. And there are some good rootsweb and genweb sites still around for some of the counties. (and some not so good.)

Which brings us to the main point, Philadelphia was a port of entry, and although they could have stayed there, they could just have likely moved westward. If not immediately, then from generation to generation. But you can probably eliminate their going to New England or New York, or they would have entered through a different port. Likewise maybe for the far Southern states, but I'm not positive. My  first guess would be that they ended up in Pennsylvania or Ohio somewhere, Maryland, maybe. - I'm basically drawing a line west from Phila and seeing where it goes.

Were other families obviously traveling with them? Track them too, they might have gone to the same place.

Watch for varieties in spelling, just as in Ireland. Donahoe could be Donahue, etc.

And a long, long shot, do you know where they were from in Ireland? I've worked on a Donahue family in Pine Township, Pennsylvania, who were from Co. Tyrone. The immigrant was Hugh Donahue, b 1789, married to Susan __, the children were born from 1821 onward in Pennsylvania.

Offline neilc78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply, I will take your advise.

In answer to your question, I know exactly where they came from Snakeel, killmore, co cavan and they can be found there on the 1821 Irish census.

However Snakeel is right beside killeshandra and on the ship passenger list from Liverpool they put killeshandra as where they were from.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 19 02:13 GMT (UK) »
The passenger list says their destination was Philadelphia, and other people on that page had other destinations, so it looks like it was probably not just a default entry.

Do you know who the mother of Edward's children was?

Offline neilc78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 19 08:29 GMT (UK) »
The passenger list says their destination was Philadelphia, and other people on that page had other destinations, so it looks like it was probably not just a default entry.

Do you know who the mother of Edward's children was?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I do indeed know this.

In the 1821 census of Ireland the family are showing in Kilmore, Co Cavan and are listed here

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1821/Cavan/Kilmore/Snakeel/26/

The family are

Edward Donoho - 45
Margaret Donoho - 40*
Patt Donoho - 17**
Bridget Donoho - 15*
Hugh Donoho - 13*
Edward Donoho - 11*
David Donoho - 9
Ally (Alice) Donoho - 7
Thomas Donoho - 5
Margaret Donoho - 3

We also know from that ship list there was another child on the ship, probably younger than Margaret born after the 1821 census. Unfortunately the name is obscured.

* These people were not on the boat in 1832. I have some possible lines of enquiry for Edward Jnr and possibly Hugh getting married in Cavan but nothing proven yet

** Patt or Patrick married Ann Degnan and can be found in the 1841 census living in Kinkeel, Killeshandra in the Degnan Homestead. Patrick is my direct relation.

So it is possible some of the * people on the list had already gone to the US before Edward and the younger kids arrived.