Author Topic: Help finding grandad's missing brothers - Robert James Boyd and John H Boyd  (Read 2349 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding grandad's missing brothers - Robert James Boyd and John H Boyd
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
How long did he stay in Scotland?
He may have been close ( geo and emotionally ) to his brother if they joined up " together "
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Looks like they stayed together in heather street Belfast and joined up together in 1914 Robert James down as head of household so suggests he maybe got married but can’t find a wedding. My grandad then was in navy after 6 months switching from the army until 1945 when he moved to Scotland until he died my mum and aunts didn’t know about Robert James or John his brothers only David who got shot. They have brothers my uncles a David, Samuel and willliam James funny enough

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes that’s them

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the number of children alive and deceased would suggest that Robert James is already deceased at this point. There are four children still alive - Samuel, David, John and Mary. Where did you find the 1914 information?

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I looked up the address on my grandads army enlistment and a Robert James appeared also may be a red herring. Found a death cert for a Robert James 1904 and mother was Mary Boyd on it which could be him. No trace of John though but loads of John H Boyd’s who emigrated

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the Attestation papers you mention and wonder if they are the correct ones. There is another set of papers on Ancestry with different soldier numbers that actually give Samuel and Mary at Harrison Street as next of kin. Also mentions brothers David and John.
Samuel appears to have joined up initially on 21/5/1912 (giving a false age). He joined the Royal Irish Fusiliers ( number 2959). He served with them till 20/10/1913 and immediately thereafter transferred to the Royal Enniskillen Fusiliers as soldier number 10/570 ( but stating previous service under number 2959). On this document he gives his parents at Harrison street as next of kin. He served until 15th May 1914 when he was discharged due to having given a false age when he first joined up.
There is also a comprehensive tree for this family on Ancestry. It has some issues - for instance it gives marriage and subsequent history for Robert James, including a death date. However further checks on the supposed marriage indicate that this Robert was actually the son of a Robert Boyd so the tree owner has made an error somewhere. The tree indicates that Samuel Snr died in Belfast in 1925 and Mary died in 1941. I suspect the tree owner is a descendent of the Robert James, but it may be that having linked him to the wrong family he then obtained correct info for the erroneous family. You would need to check this out.

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 13:25 GMT (UK) »
The false age fits my aunts my mums eldest sisters story about the him giving the wrong age

Thank you so much

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again just did some checking and got those army records it confirms Robert James had died by this point and that death cert I have is for him. Now the search is on for more info on John he was around up till 1914 by these records at least but gone by David’s death in 1922 so thank you for narrowing that for me