Author Topic: Frederick Clarke c 1873 and the 68th Battery Royal Artillery  (Read 2217 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Clarke c 1873 and the 68th Battery Royal Artillery
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 March 19 16:19 GMT (UK) »
The MiD was almost certainly related to the Battle of Neuve Chapelle in March 1915.  The list of awards to 33 Brigade officers and men on which he appears in the war diary contains some names picked out in the brigade account of the 10-14 March action, he was BSM of 33 Battery in the brigade.

The Russian award is less easy to pin down.  Those awarded are from a great variety of units in different divisions.  Such awards were often (always?) allocated by the British authorities on behalf of the allied country and were often (always?) used where it had proved not possible to give a British award, thus increasing the number who were able to be recognised for their efforts.

Having been commissioned, his records should be at the National Archives. A search for his name however only returns Captain Frederick James Clarke of the Royal Field Artillery.  The record isn't digitised so would have to be seen, but we haven't seen the middle name James used before??

His commissioning date was 4 May 1916, the war diary has no record of him leaving the brigade.  (War diary WO 95/1694)

The dates on his medal card suggest he finished his time at No2 RFA Officer Cadet School at Topsham Barracks Exeter either as an instructor or on the admin staff.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 March 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I think this may be him in the MoD FoI listings of records still held for soldiers born before 1901 (it's in Sheet 1).

The P prefix denotes an officer (I think). The birthdate is slightly out but that could be a typo.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Grrrh - checked that listing but with the 13 Aug date of birth so came up blank and yes, P number  = personal number.  The significance Norman E is that you can, subject to the conditions, apply for his record.  ShaunJ is making good use of what may be a rainy day where he lives!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia