Author Topic: ANSWERED: Correct Date of Marriage for David Bandinel and Elizabeth Stallenge?  (Read 884 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
ANSWERED: Correct Date of Marriage for David Bandinel and Elizabeth Stallenge?
« on: Wednesday 20 February 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if somebody could enlighten me in relation to the London marriage of David Bandinel and Elizabeth Stallenge at St.Olave, London?

The original church records has their marriage as the last marriage of the year 1599, that being 30 March 1599, then the year 1600 then commences from April immediatley after. I do understand that is the way calendar worked back then, but the company that transcribed the marriage have the date of 31 January, 1599, and I have also seen the date recorded as 31 January, 1598 elsewhere.

I know the year could be mixed up because of the old style calendar, but this shouldn't affect the month...........should it?

I know RootsChat are bit hard on Copyright breaches, but am I allowed to attach a copy of the original 2 line entry of this marriage just to confirm my reason for thinking the correct date of marriage is 30 March, 1599, and not 31 January?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Working Out Correct Date of Marriage for David Bandinel and Elizabeth Stallenge?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
They married on 31 January 1599 (= 1600 in the modern calendar).

Looking at the original register (St Olave Hart Street, City of London), the date of each marriage is written above each entry ... check the foot of the page for the layout ...

the 31th daie [Januarie]
David Bandenell & Elsabeth Stallinge

The date written below that – 1600 Marche the 30th 1600 – belongs to the next marriage listed.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Working Out Correct Date of Marriage for David Bandinel and Elizabeth Stallenge?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 14:00 GMT (UK) »
The original church records has their marriage as the last marriage of the year 1599, that being 30 March 1599, then the year 1600 then commences from April immediatley after. I do understand that is the way calendar worked back then

Just to clarify for future reference, in England the new year used to start on March 25 (Lady Day).  Therefore 31 January was still in 1599.  By 30 March, the new year had started so it was 1600.

Since the calendar changed (September 1752), the new year has started on 1 January.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 19 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BookBox - Yes, I can see now, it my mistake. It wasn't so much the calendar that had me scratching my head, but the actual entry itself. As you indicated, the date comes first, then the names - I was reading it as the names came first then the date. Better give myself an "upper cut"  ;D

Thanks Carol - It was not so much the old calendar that was giving me the problem, but as BookBox pointed out, I was reading the information on the record incorrectly.

Both replies appreciated!
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!