Author Topic: Arrivals in South Africa  (Read 930 times)

Offline melia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Arrivals in South Africa
« on: Wednesday 20 February 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure if anyone can help here but worth a try.

I am trying to find out when exactly some ancestors arrived in South Africa.
The first is a JAMES ROGERS who married in Cornwall in 1888 and died in South Africa in 1898. Also whether he had his wife and daughter with him (Bessie Rogers & Grace Rogers). They are in Cornwall in 1891 so did they actually leave with him or stay in Cornwall waiting to be sent for. ROGERS may be spelt RODGERS.

The next are WILLIAM JOHN NOBLE and BESSIE (maybe Elizabeth) NOBLE. Bessie is the widow of the above James. Bessie was in America in 1900 but her daughter (Grace) was still in Cornwall. William John Noble and Bessie married in America in 1901 but were in South Africa by 1905 when their son was born.

The last is GRACE ROGERS who as i said was in Cornwall in 1901 but died in South Africa in 1907.

We don't know whether William and Bessie came back to Cornwall from America and then left for South Africa with Grace, or if they left America and went straight to South Africa and then Grace went later.

Grateful for any help ,

Melia

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Arrivals in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
It sometimes helps if we know when they were born  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry lol 

James Ro(d)gers born about 1865
Bessie Rogers born 1871(maiden name Opie married 1888 Rogers) Married 1901 Noble
William Noble born 1875
Grace rogers born 1888
Melia

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »

It might be worthwhile giving http://www.eggsa.org/arrivals/lists.html a try, if you do click the: by date option

JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline melia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at that sight before but will try again.

I can't actually see n option for by date or did you mean option number 2 where it says order by name or date?
Melia

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at that sight before but will try again.

I can't actually see n option for by date or did you mean option number 2 where it says order by name or date?
Melia
Yes that is correct.  If the search returns only a few hits, it shouldn't take to long to inspect each hit regardless of which way they are presented, but if a large number of hits are returned I prefer to have the hits presented in date order, then you scroll through the list ignoring those prior to your time window, and those later than your time window.

JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.