Author Topic: Records on Ancestry  (Read 161 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records on Ancestry
« on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
How is it that Ancestry has Medal Records, Attestation Papers, Roll of Honour records etc. for WWI but when I try and pick up a record for Pension Ledgers and Index cards, 1914-23 it tells me I have to have Premium Membership?  Doesn't make sense to me.  Any ideas?  After all, these soldiers are long gone and I am sure their pensions didn't carry forward.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that Ancestry are not saying you need a premium membership for Fold3  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
How is it that Ancestry has Medal Records, Attestation Papers, Roll of Honour records etc. for WWI but when I try and pick up a record for Pension Ledgers and Index cards, 1914-23 it tells me I have to have Premium Membership?  Doesn't make sense to me.  Any ideas?  After all, these soldiers are long gone and I am sure their pensions didn't carry forward.
Certainly I have been prompted for Fold3 membership on some records.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Some records that Ancestry have on their Fold3 site are available on FindMyPast.  I would also check TNA website just in case though don't hold your breath  :)  If all else fails sometimes F3 is free on remembrance weekend  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:24 GMT (UK) »
The arrangements Ancestry has with the "owners" of the original records are simply a commercial transaction and Ancestry has decided to charge extra for the pension records. In this case, the arrangement is with the Western Front Association where you can see the same records although you have to be a member there to do that so you have a choice of whether you pay for Fold3 membership or pay to join the WFA.

If you are looking for just one person, see if you can get a trial sub to Fold 3 and then cancel it.

It is a sad fact of life that almost none of the records are actually free unless you visit Kew and can walk there (not the pension records). 

MaxD

PS Rosie's tip to check FindMyPast is a good one but they don't have the pension cards/ledgers
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I never really read it properly, you could well be right, rosie.  Still seems strange that if Ancestry have the rest of the records, they don't have these.  As far as FindMyPast is concerned, I don't have membership for that.  Never mind, it was just an idle question, it isn't as though these records are desperately needed to complete a family or to confirm identity.  Thanks for answering so quickly, anyway, Chatters!
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Still seems strange that if Ancestry have the rest of the records, they don't have these.

But they do have them!  It is just that they are tucked away in the special extra Fold 3 part.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia