Author Topic: Liverpool RC Baptisms,Thomas Georgius Sherriff  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Liverpool RC Baptisms,Thomas Georgius Sherriff
« on: Wednesday 20 February 19 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Hoping someone may have access to Ancestry UK, I don't.  Have been searching for a George Sherriff, born Liverpool, 1868, for years.  His mother was Mary Ann Smith. His father was ? Sherriff.  I recently ran across the entry for Thomas Georgius Sherriff on ancestry.  There is no date other than 1741-1916 and I am hesitant to upgrade my subscription for this one vague entry. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool RC Baptisms,Thomas Georgius Sherriff
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Georgius Sherriff
Birth Date - 8 Mar 1868
Baptism Date - 15 Mar 1868
Baptism Place - St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire
Father - Joannis Sherriff
Mother - Maria Anna Smith

JJ

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you J Jen, think that is my man.

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 February 19 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Some siblings...Mary Catherine (Maria Katherina in St Francis Xavier baptism register) born 2 June 1870 ....possible marriage for her in 1888 to Robert Sibbring.
John born 18 Jan 1865 baptised St Nicholas, think he must have died as there is another John born 14 Feb 1873 baptised St Anne's.
Joseph Thomas born 29 June 1866 baptised SFX but died soon after.

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 February 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann SHERRIFF remarried in 1876 at St Anne's RC church Liverpool to Michael McDONNELL.  On the 1881 census George SHERRIFF is living with them plus 2 McDONNELL children.  Mary Ann gives her father's namd as Joseph, recorded as SHERRIFF but that is probably just an error. 

Michael Macdonnell   32 born Ireland
Mary A. Macdonnell   38 born Ireland
George Sheriff   13  Liverpool
Leo. Macdonnell   3
Esther A. Macdonnell   2
Mary Smith   63  mother in law born Ireland.

It might be worth upgrading your membership for a month on Ancestry as there are quite a few records available.

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 February 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sumi. I have the census for this family in 1881 and the marriage registration for Michael and Mary. George Sherriff was an unknown as he only appeared in 1881. Cannot find his mother Mary or father John in 1871 and George may have used his full name Thomas George on subsequent census. Your siblings records have baffled me now as only George appears as a step child in 1881 census. George Sherriff is an avenue I am exploring to try and discover where in Ireland Michael and Mary came from. Got sidetracked again as trying to focus on the Canadian history of this family.
Thank you for your time and effort. Answers add more questions LOL

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 February 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
It is always useful to find records for the wider family....I was stuck for  years then found the RC marriage entry for a sibling where the priest had very helpfully recorded the father of the groom as being from Tipperary.  You might get lucky.

Mary Catherine born 1870 is 'niece' in 1881 with John and Esther HAWE nee SMITH, living in York where Esther married.   

Class: RG11; Piece: 4720; Folio: 142; Page: 20;

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 February 19 12:07 GMT (UK) »
You say there is a Canadian history to this family.  Are you aware that Owen CORRIGAN was Godfather to Mary Catherine SHERRIFF in 1870 and in 1871 Owen CORRIGAN married Catherine SMITH daughter of Joseph and Mary.

They obviously spent some time in Canada as 2 of their children born there before they came back to live in Sale, Cheshire.

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Sumi,  LOL yes there is a Canadian history which started this search again.  Ancestry had upgraded their passenger lists in Canada, my grandparents immigrated in 1910.  My grandfather, Leo McDonald arrived saying his destination was going to his brother.  His brothers weren't here, that I knew of, thought it may have been 1/2 brother George (AKA Thomas George) Sherriff.
Strangely enough I have an 1871 census entry from a few years ago for Joseph Smith, wife Mary living in West Derby RG 10/3844, folio 139, page 25 with children Thomas, Elizabeth, Catherine, Esther, Eleanor ? and nephew John Walsh, all born in Ireland. Thought these may have been Mary Ann Smith Sherriff McDonald's parents. Possible Joseph died which is why Mary Ann Smith Sherriff McDonald's mother is living with them in 1881. Have never pursued this family further as the UK has few hints for BMD and require ordering the registrations.  Have paid for too many wrong registrations LOL. 
Again thanks so much for your help and suggestions.  Another trail of breadcrumbs to follow.