Author Topic: mtDNA Help Please  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mtDNA Help Please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 February 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Thus

MT = M->M->M->M->....... etc
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 February 19 14:08 GMT (UK) »
What I mean, Gadget, is, my mother's mother's grandfather is one of my maternal ancestors. Under normal circumstances he is not going to show up in an mtdna test, only my mother's mother's mother's mother etc etc.

Maternal and matrilineal have a difference in meaning when applied to DNA.

"However, I have read recently that it is possible for fathers to pass on mtDNA to their children."

This still appears to be quite rare, though maybe more cases will be discovered. Here an article discussing a case, where a boy was suffering from mitochondrial disease.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/fathers-can-pass-mitochondrial-dna-to-children-65165

It reports that so far only 17 people have been identified with this inheritance from both parents, but patients are only tested when a problem such as mitochondrial disease is discovered, so there could be more.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 February 19 14:12 GMT (UK) »
 I think it's fairly clear on the FTdna ref.

Here's a link to an earlier thread

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805091.0

Of course maternal and matrilineal are different - One of my favourite subjects was kinship when I studied Anthropology.

Gadget 

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I think I misunderstood you Gadget!!

I think we are both singing from the same hymn sheet.

I know little about mtdna, it is not something I have had done, nor intend to get done. I can see relatively little value in it, though I may be wrong.

Did you ever get round to having it done?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 February 19 15:59 GMT (UK) »

Did you ever get round to having it done?

Regards Margaret

No. Like you, I'm not all that sure that it would help me with my recent (say 1066 and forwards) ancestors.  I do know from Gedmatch that I'm mainly  WHG and Neolithic  ;D

Gadget

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:02 GMT (UK) »
If you're as far back as 1066, you've done a lot better than I have!!

Just looking at some related matches where both me and my paternal cousin share DNA with 5 plus members of the same family, based in USA.

I don't usually take notice of ethnicity estimates, but the family have strong indications of Irish roots, the older generations with nearly 50%.

Of course, it could be the other 50% where the connection is, but my only known Irish ancestor is my 3G grandfather, and I have got nowhere researching him. That's about 1786. Only 700 years to go, say 14+ generations.

I applaud you. ;) ;)

Regards Margaret

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Only on one line (well,  many by the time I get to there!). A cousin did the research over many years.  It all checks out though. It's not my matrilineal line though. It's my  paternal grandmother's line (in my avatar). 

I though I'd got a breakthrough yesterday on my mt line. One of my matches seemed to list the same line. I got very excited until I found it led down to my mother!  I'd somehow flipped when the table of Jones matches in our tree came up and was following my line not the match  :-X ::) :-X

Gadget

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 February 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I think I must have been having a senior moment

Me too, and apologies if I'm being super-dense here but does the mtDNA test give you anything other than haplogroup results? If, for example, you're stuck at an 8x great gran (pure maternal line), will this test get you any further back - or do you need to carry on with paper trails?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 February 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I think I must have been having a senior moment

Me too, and apologies if I'm being super-dense here but does the mtDNA test give you anything other than haplogroup results? If, for example, you're stuck at an 8x great gran (pure maternal line), will this test get you any further back - or do you need to carry on with paper trails?

I'd stick to paper trails.  We have to anyway, DNA is not a substitute but is just another tool in genealogical research.

Gadget