Author Topic: What happened to William and Albert Atkins?  (Read 358 times)

Offline FTDM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to William and Albert Atkins?
« on: Thursday 21 February 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find out what happened to two of my relatives.

They are twins, William and Albert Atkins. Unusually they were born on different days: William was born on 14 October 1875 at 10pm and Albert was born on 15 October at 1250am. Their parents were George Thomas Atkins (printer) and Ann Atkins (nee Newmarch). They were born at 5 Brundwick Street, Clerkenwell (Holborn, Middlesex).

In 1881 they were listed as being born in 1876 (wrong, but who was checking?), aged 5, and living with their parents and brother, Walter (11), at 27 Cyrus Street, Clerkenwell, Holborn.

After this I lose the thread for William.

By 1891, however, Albert had joined the 1st Btn Northumberland Fusiliers. He continued to use 1876 as his birth year and his age is listed as 15. At the time he was a ‘boy’ soldier at the Woolwich Barracks (along with his two older brothers, George Henry and Walter Frederick). I think I have found Albert’s Service Number: 69075. He appears to have remained in the army (like his older brothers) and served in the Northumberland Fusiliers before transferring to the York and Lancashire Regiment. He was discharged from the army in 1919 (because he was ‘physically unfit’). Unfortunately there is only a transcript of this. After this, as with his twin, the thread goes cold.

Is anyone able to shed any light on what might have happened to the twins? And is there any way of finding the original documents about Albert’s army career?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to William and Albert Atkins?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1881 census was taken on 3rd April ,so the boys would both be 5,not having had their 6th birthday till much later that year.The same would apply to most years.

So when the maths is done 1881 - 5 would give you a year of 1876.And so on for each census.

It was nothing to do with they themselves using the wrong year of birth,just how the transcriptions work.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to William and Albert Atkins?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
sorry - wrong William
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)