Author Topic: Ordering an Irish Will  (Read 672 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ordering an Irish Will
« on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me please.

I have discovered that an 1865 Will exists for my brother in law's ancestor, who lived in Dublin. It seems that probate was granted at the Principal Registry.

Looking on line for how to order a Will from Ireland I came across this website;

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/926E10176BFBA70C8025810F005C8630?opendocument&l=en

This seems a bit complicated to understand for me - I am so used to being able to order on line in England.

Can someone tell me please if this site is the up to date one -- or is there an easier way to order and pay for a copy of this Irish document from England?

Many thanks.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering an Irish Will
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this
Important: the fact that there is an entry in the Calendar does not mean that the will or letters of administration referred to survives. There are copies of all wills proved elsewhere than the Principal Registry from 1858 to 1922 available in the National Archives. There is a full set of original wills for everywhere except the Principal Registry from 1900 on, and for the Principal Registry from 1904 on.
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/home.jsp

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 19 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

No I hadn't seen the site you mentioned and to be honest have never before found even a sight of an Irish will. I have inserted the details into the search page and obtained a Nil result.

I am gutted -- first Irish Will I have ever found and it doesn't seem like it's survived! Well I don't have to worry about how to order it -- every cloud has a silver lining!

Thank you so much for that link.

xx
Places of interest;

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 19 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you name county and year of Death?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark -- yes and I input these onto the website Sinann gave the link to ;

Peter Blyth
Dublin
Died 3 Dec 1864
Will/Probate document dated 10 Jan 1865

I found these details on Family Search. To be honest I couldn't believe my eyes - I was thrilled to see that information and had no idea that such information was on that site.

This family are a bit of a nuisance -- keep bobbing between Scotland and Ireland. I think this Peter Blyth had been in the Army. There is a record of one with the same approx birth year.

I had only been able to find 3 children born to him and his wife and all in Scotland -- hence the Thomas on the Probate document was new to me. That is one of the reasons I am SO interested in the Will.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTMX-T3V?i=336&cc=1921305

However if the documents don't exist any more -- the Family Search record still confirms his address and date of death. Also it confirms the correct father for the descendant I am interested in -- another Peter - who gives his father's name as Peter Blyth, Engineer Foreman Dec'd on his marriage cert in 1869. I had never found Peter junior's actual baptism of c 1841 Ireland -- taken from Scottish census records.

So the calendar itself has been useful -- but thank you for reading this and for your interest,
Places of interest;

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 February 19 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if these are of interest.... Will Registers

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nfk/ simply because of a Thomas mentioned, plus Scotland   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 February 19 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark -- that's brilliant - you can actually see the Will by clicking on the image of these documents.

At the moment this is interesting to know this facility exists - I had no idea. I am not sure if the particular person is linked to the family but I so appreciate knowing that Wills 1858-1900 can be searched for and seen at the Archives site.

Thank you so much.
Places of interest;