Author Topic: Researching the family history of a celebrity  (Read 816 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
Researching the family history of a celebrity
« on: Thursday 21 February 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I just wondered if anyone had ever tried researching the family history of one of their heroes, such as an actor, a sportsman or a politician?

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Researching the family history of a celebrity
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 19 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Only if there was a likely connection.
Chris Pine (and his actor father Robert) the actor is descended from Pine/Pyne's in the part of Devon as my lot. Still haven't found a link, but they all seem to be related somehow.
I did try my luck with Charlie Chaplin after I read that his birth could not be found. No joy.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
David Jason. His parents were Arthur White and Olwen White formerly Jones as a copy of his birth cert is in one of his biographies. I am stuck on his maternal grandfather John Jones born c1877. Born in Liverpool but moved to Rhymney Wales. I reckon he was of Welsh parentage. I may have found his marriage in 1901 in the FreeBMD indexes but will not go as far to buy the cert, just use what is already online. I would still love to find his parentage, trouble is there was several John Jones born Liverpool c1875-1878.

I am possibly related to David Jason as we have same surname ancestors in the same area of Wiltshire/Berkshire borders. Buscot/Inglesham.

I saw Patsy Kensit on WDYTYA and did some further digging into the ancestry of her ancestors mentioned, and found out we are distant cousins through the Sparks family.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Sandy_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 19 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I found out while researching my maternal line that Duncan Goodhew is my fourth-cousin.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
I spent a long time trying to find a connection to Edward F. Cox, the husband of Richard Nixon's daughter Tricia because when they got married, my father casually mentioned that Cox was a relative.  Mercifully, I was unable to find any link whatsoever and, when I questioned my Dad about it, he said he didn't remember saying it and was unaware of any family relationship.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 February 19 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I just wondered if anyone had ever tried researching the family history of one of their heroes, such as an actor, a sportsman or a politician?

Martin

No but the thought has crossed my mind often!

My own father was a keen follower of a young lad from his (the young lad) early days of Uni, met & spoke with the lad at conferences etc. (not sure how often over the years) but supporters of same interests & party & favoured him as one of the best up-and-coming Politicians when the lad got into politics.

My father told me this back in the 1980s onward but sadly my father passed away prior to what my father told me he'd expect but he was right.

I have a video of that same lad as an adult in politics with my daughter who at the time was unaware of what her grandfather had thought of him although she held/holds him in high regard as I did/do.

I have a niggling want to research his family history...maybe one day?

I will let you all guess who  :P  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 February 19 06:40 GMT (UK) »

Martin

Roy Stockdale the journalist (retired) and family historian has researched many celebrities family trees, a few are online here.
https://roystockdillgenealogy.com/about-me-4/

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 February 19 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I spent a long time trying to find a connection to Edward F. Cox, the husband of Richard Nixon's daughter Tricia because when they got married, my father casually mentioned that Cox was a relative.  Mercifully, I was unable to find any link whatsoever and, when I questioned my Dad about it, he said he didn't remember saying it and was unaware of any family relationship.

Family story was that aunt's rather famous husband was related to Richard Nixon- this story from was before he became president but after uncle had died. After Watergate connection never mentioned. Naturally I investigate uncle's & Nixon's families to see if they were related. Turns out both families were Quakers, lived near each other in California and probably knew each other.
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 February 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I researched the family history of the famous Aviatrix, Amy Johnson in 2016 when I was approached to help with sourcing and restoring photos of her, for a coffee table book "Amy Johnson: A Life in Pictures" and also exhibition material to mark the 75th Anniversary of her death.
I had already researched the Johnson family when I first started family history, as my Uncle told me that we were related to them. When I could find no relationship, he told me that we weren't actually related to them but my grandparents lived next door to them and my Aunt was at the same school as Amy, and that as children, they referred to Amy's parents as Aunt and Uncle  ::)
I later learned that her Danish Grandfather Anders Jorgenson, (anglicised to Andrew Johnson) in 1901 was a Fish merchant and lived two doors away from my Great Uncle who was a Fish Buyer.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU