Author Topic: Researching the family history of a celebrity  (Read 2685 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Researching the family history of a celebrity
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 February 19 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Someone said they have done research into famous and infamous people and that the Kray Twins descend from an Auber family of East London. Found out it was the same Auber's as I descend from.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 February 19 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Only on the one or two incredibly rare happenings when I've come upon a distant relationship with someone well-known, and checked it out FULLY!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 February 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I did a family tree once for M.V. Hughes, who wrote A London Child of the 1870s, A London Girl of the 1880s, and A London Home of the 1890s, which I read with great interest.

They were autobiographical, and concerned her family, their Cornish roots and the sudden and devastating death of her father (he simply didn't come home one night, he had been knocked down and killed by a carriage in London, and it took some days to identify him and tell his family).

She wrote beautifully, but I was amazed that - as the only girl in the family - she very much took second place to her brothers, who were all 'of course' more important, and in fact glorified the fact that she therefore never took herself and her own potential seriously.

She did manage  to get to school and indeed qualified as a teacher.

It was fascinating checking up on all the clues in the books and pinning the characters down.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I thoroughly enjoyed a series of books regarding the Cornish family of Ben Retallick  by EJ Thompson....

LONG before I found I am descendant of the Retallicks.. :)   quirks and coincidences   and of course there are lots of them in this game..

xin

ps Donald Sutherland is NOT a rellie :(   

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 February 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I have been tempted at times to investigate the family trees of people who are infamous for being racist just to see what their background is but I decided it wasn't worth my energy.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 February 19 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I researched the family history of the famous Aviatrix, Amy Johnson in 2016 when I was approached to help with sourcing and restoring photos of her, for a coffee table book "Amy Johnson: A Life in Pictures" and also exhibition material to mark the 75th Anniversary of her death.
I had already researched the Johnson family when I first started family history, as my Uncle told me that we were related to them. When I could find no relationship, he told me that we weren't actually related to them but my grandparents lived next door to them and my Aunt was at the same school as Amy, and that as children, they referred to Amy's parents as Aunt and Uncle  ::)
I later learned that her Danish Grandfather Anders Jorgenson, (anglicised to Andrew Johnson) in 1901 was a Fish merchant and lived two doors away from my Great Uncle who was a Fish Buyer.

Carol
My first teacher at Junior school, Miss Kirkham, was also at school with Amy Johnson, and presumably with your aunt too. She said that Amy was always in trouble for one naughty deed or another.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 February 19 22:36 GMT (UK) »
How interesting Mike....you might be interested in a photo I have of a large group of children at the same school, I think it is dated around 1910 or there about. She was a real rebel and led a protest against the wearing of the school hat. She often played cricket with the boys and lost her front teeth when she was hit in the face with a bat. She was quite a tomboy and ahead of her time in many ways.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 February 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
"the family trees of people who are infamous for being racist "

Others are dealing with it and it's quite amusing.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=resistance+genealogy
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 February 19 07:51 GMT (UK) »
How interesting Mike....you might be interested in a photo I have of a large group of children at the same school, I think it is dated around 1910 or there about. She was a real rebel and led a protest against the wearing of the school hat. She often played cricket with the boys and lost her front teeth when she was hit in the face with a bat. She was quite a tomboy and ahead of her time in many ways.
Carol
Yes, I'd be interested in seeing that, although I doubt whether I'd recognise Miss Kirkham. If she was the same age as Amy Johnson, she would be about 7 years old in the photo - the same age as I was when she taught me (although she looked about 300 years old to me of course).