Author Topic: Things named after an ancestor  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Things named after an ancestor
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 March 19 13:08 GMT (UK) »
There is an Abrehart Road in Packenham, Victoria, Australia on the site of the old farm my Abreharts owned when they migrated there from Mitcham, Surrey, UK in the 1880's.
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 19 19:12 GMT (UK) »
   There is a Pay Street in the village where my Pay ancestors were living in the 1750s, and Lake Byron in South Dakota is named after a very distant Pay cousin in the 1860s.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 March 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
There are two areas where relatives of ny ancestors lived,on top of a range of hills in South Shropshire.
Blakemore Flat and Blakemore Gate.
If named after them I am not certain but a big coincidence as they lived there.
Little smallholdings,subsistence living,worked by the lead miners  after a full
shift underground.
Abandoned now but one cottage renovated to be as it was when occupied as a record of the living conditions there up to 1940 s/50s.
Oh how I would  love to live there, the little gardens still witha a few stunted gooseberry bushes and fruit trees,hedges leaning over in the prevailing wind.
I wonder if they are named after the family.
It was in one ,quite ruined and the back wall fallen down so you could get into the bedroom,that I went exploring and in an old rusty tin trunk was a Bible with my grsndmother’s name in it.
There could well have been another family member with the same first name and she did not live there to my knowledge but her cousins did.
I did not take it to my  regret but abandoned though it was I knew it would be stealing so reluctantly left it.I mean ,stealing a bible!
Viktoria.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 March 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was a Bartlett, descended from a family of gardeners near Cheltenham in the early 1800s.  Family folklore claimed they grew Bartlett pears, which may have been true, but any connection with the family is either a coincidence or a myth  :-[
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 March 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
According to this history, the name came from an Enoch Bartlett of Massachusetts.  Is he in your (pear) tree?  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_pear

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 March 19 16:34 GMT (UK) »
My Threlfalls came from Southport area, and possibly from Goosnargh area prior to that ("Threlfall" as an area there seems to have been used in early times )and there are places such as "Threlfall's Brow" and "Threlfall Lane" recorded .... and I'm told there are distant links to the defunct Brewery of the same name, but sadly, nothing more exalted!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)