Author Topic: No birth record  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No birth record
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information on the Universal Mine and for the links which will enable me to further research. Pleased that more research can be made on the Universal Mine.
The list of miners deceased 1913 has Robert William Evans (No 242) age 38 at 26 Stanley Street Senghenydd.
I have managed to copy a map of the mine indicating where the men were situated in the shafts when the explosion occurred.
The 1911 census record for Robert William Evans age 36 years is
Robert William Evans age 36 Miner Hewer born North Wales
Emma Evans wife 35 years born Ystrad Glamorganshire
Kate Evans Daughter age 5
James Arthur Evans age 2
Address 21 St Annes Street Gilfach. This is where there daughter Ada Elvira Evans was born in May 1911.
Many thanks to all that have guided and helped me with my research so far.
Allan, Dow,Boggie,Douglas,Hillock...Scotland
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
Coleman, Richards, Hughes, Lloyd, Chambers. Wales and England.
 Evans, Thomas, Humphreys, Williams, Jones, LLoyd. Wales
Parsey, Price, Taylor, Protheroe, Jenkins. Kerford.
....Wales and England.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

The Volunteer Rescuers showed bravery of the highest order and extreme courage, going down the Pit, knowing a fire had started below ground and trying to make a route beyond the fire. Advisors who formed a Consultation Committee about fighting the fire from the other side, also descended into the Mine.

Those Rescuers who were reported in the newspaper of 16th October 1913 to have died in the early stages by the Rescue Brigade were:-

William John of Abertridwr, Volunteer Rescue from the Windsor Pit, clearing a roof fall and claimed to be a relative of Dai St John, Grenadier Guards.

Thomas Smiles, Rescuer, taken to the Cardiff Infirmary suffering effects of gas, where he died during the night.

William Jones of Thomas Street, Abertridwr, Rescuer, Fire fighting, mine roof collapse and struck by a pit prop.

----------

The South Wales Miners' Federation Executive (under Mr W. Brace, M.P.), met regarding support of Dependents Widows & Children (now the National Union of Mineworkers / NUM - South Wales Area).

Some Welsh Newspaper images (Court Case) ...
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4030555/4030563

Warwick University Modern Records Centre, are fairly big collectors of Trade Union records, but don't seem to list NUM
https://warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/explorefurther/digital/membership/

Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark
You've provided Dingaling with quite a few important links. However, it might be worth you reading through this and  previous threads (links given earlier) that cover a good deal of information on Robert William Evans's ancestors, rather than repeat what has already been found.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:14 BST (UK) »
To help, I gave these links to previous threads earlier on this thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767899.msg6201980#msg6201980

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 10:15 BST (UK) »
Im glad that you've edited your previous post and deleted the last para:

Do you have your relative's Full Death Certificate? Next of Kin might be confirmed there. Although there was an Inquest and usually the Coroner is the Informant reporting the Death, but it possibly might (or might not) confirm Husband of ... .

The Death looks to be reported in the Deaths Index of January, February & March Quarter (called the March Quarter) of the following year? District Pontypridd, aged 38.

Access to Image of the Index page only, for Registrars District, Page & Volume Number:-
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

Also can be checked here, but you don't see an image of the Index.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Mark

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Mark for all the material you have posted.
I have obtained the death certificate of Robert William Evans died 14th October 1913. The cert was issued by the coroner.
Robert is buried in the Penyrheol Cemetery. I have photos of his grave.
I am slowly tracing Robert W Evans family and waiting on certificates to further my research.
The material on the Universal Mine Disaster is so interesting. Although I had research this area before all your notes and links are new material to me which I will follow through on.
Cheers for now.
Kay P
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
....Wales and England.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Mark for all the material you have posted.
I have obtained the death certificate of Robert William Evans died 14th October 1913. The cert was issued by the coroner.
Robert is buried in the Penyrheol Cemetery. I have photos of his grave.
I am slowly tracing Robert W Evans family and waiting on certificates to further my research.
The material on the Universal Mine Disaster is so interesting. Although I had research this area before all your notes and links are new material to me which I will follow through on.
Cheers for now.
Kay P

Hello Kay

I apologise for repeating comments already suggested and suggesting a couple of Robert Evans, who were not your man.

I hoped that there might be some new useful snippets for you, amongst it.

All the best, Mark

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 04 April 19 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark.
Appreciated all the material that you sent.
The Universal Mine Disaster information has opened more doors for me to research.
I have only read published books on the mine so to contact the departments and see what material they hold is a real bonus.
When I began my research into the Evans family I knew and had nothing except the names Robert William Evans his wife Emma and children and no knowledge of Wales especially North Wales so I have came a long way with help and guidance.
Many thanks Dingaling
....Wales and England.

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 12 April 19 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hoping to be one step closer or is it.
I have the Marriage Certificate of Robert Evans and Margaret Thomas both 21 years who married in June 1873 at Registrar Office Corwen. Robert Evans occupation was Husbandman residing Penarth Corwen his father Joseph Evans was deceased a Husbandman.
Margaret Thomas a Spinster residing Cerryllwydin Cynwyd. No occupation.  Fathers name Humphrey Thomas a Husbandman. Witnesses Edward Williams and Ellin Lewis.
So that makes Robert Evans birth year 1852. Maybe his age is an error.
I have a birth cert showing Robert Evans b Dec 1875 at Penymnydd Cymwyd. Mother Margaret Thomas husband a farm laborer. unfortunately no fathers christian name.
The census records that I have researched shows
Robert Evans bc 1855 Llanuwchilleyn Wales. Wife Margaret bc 1853 Corwen.
Children Elizabeth A  1874 Cynwyd, Robert 1875 Cynwyd, Jane 1877 Cynwyd, Margaret b 1879 Cynwyd, Joseph A 1882 Llangar, Catherine b 1884 Llangar, Humphrey T b 1886 Llangar, Mary Ellen b 1888 Llangar and Ada b 1894 Brymbo.
There are so many boxes I can tick with the marriage certificate and census information but is the marriage certificate the correct one.
....Wales and England.