Author Topic: 1911 census  (Read 1601 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat do not stop us from posting the links to 1911 on familysearch, I do it often and so do others on here.

Thank you for your reply. In that case I really do not understand the initial point you made. Still that's fine I think you have just confirmed we can do 1911 census lookups which was the point I queried.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat do not stop us from posting the links to 1911 on familysearch, I do it often and so do others on here.

Thank you for your reply. In that case I really do not understand the initial point you made. Still that's fine I think you have just confirmed we can do 1911 census lookups which was the point I queried.

We are allowed to post links from familysearch because it is a free site.  The reason we are not allowed to post full details from the 1911 and 1939 is because they are only available through pay per view sites.  It is after all up to the founders of rootschat as to what information they allow us to post.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »

We are allowed to post links from familysearch because it is a free site.  The reason we are not allowed to post full details from the 1911 and 1939 is because they are only available through pay per view sites.  It is after all up to the founders of rootschat as to what information they allow us to post.

BIB - I totally disagree with that. We can post full details from the 1911 census as they appear on familysearch, it is a free site with the intention of making information available freely. Things have moved on from when the 1911 census was first released and trying to impose conditions that pertained back then is wrong.

I would be interested to see what the site owners here say on that. (That should see me banned again  ::))
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 February 19 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I did not say we could not transcribe the 1911 from the familysearch entry but as it is a free site why should I spend time transcribing it when I can post a link.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 February 19 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I did not say we could not transcribe the 1911 from the familysearch entry but as it is a free site why should I spend time transcribing it when I can post a link.

What you actually said was

You do realise that we are not allowed to ask for 1911 look ups.

So how do you post links to something you are not allowed to look up.  ???

Don't worry that was rhetorical.