Author Topic: seems like a match  (Read 847 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
seems like a match
« on: Friday 22 February 19 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Just had my first sign of interest ( I think) from a.n.other..

their contact to me was as this:

'My tree is open. let me know the surnames of your earlier families.' 

sitting with mouth open.. thinking o.k... whats this??

and then seeing if I had sent a message to them 1st... but NO trace...
then wondering if its an Infiltrator!??  some scamming monkey...

but it says they are on my match list ... and wow that is totally wow...

so I respond and await results. 

there are names in both trees (including Smith) that are the same.. but DOBS and AREAS nope ---

I did say their query was a little abrupt... and if they want my tree open   I can do that.. ! and will do when I think they actually care whether we are linked or not..

sorry  -

but

Hello
I see we have similar names and a possible link - be nice to check these out...  ::)

Now what is wrong with that....!!! short sweet and polite...  ::)

xin

ps if its YOU and you are reading this... try and be a little more friendly :)   with  nice comments 

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: seems like a match
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 19 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Manners go a long way when making contact!

So far I've contacted two matches, explaining who I am, why I'm contacting them and that I hope they don't mind the contact.  Happily received replies back from both.

I hope your 'match' is a good one - in more ways than one!

Marlene  ;)
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I have not had too many unmannered requests, but quite a lot that don’t understand that it helps to say which kit when it is a managed kit.

However, I have had quite a few entertaining replies, including:
  • I don’t recognise your name so we can’t possibly be related
  • There are a lot of people in the north of England
  • I have traced my family back to the Mayflower so one of your ancestors must have been born in America

Had to smile when I finally figured out that the one who replied succintly that there are a lot of people in the north of England actually shares common ancestors with me in Scotland  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 19 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I never heard another word from my contact. 

I am way not interested in the Test these days.. so I am not bovvered as they say

xin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 March 19 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I don’t get too worried about contact or lack of it, but I am very interested in the test. In addition to my own kit I manage about a dozen family kits and have found the evidence these give me invaluable in terms of confirming the accuracy of my paper trail and contributing to chipping holes in brick walls.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 19 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I have not had too many unmannered requests, but quite a lot that don’t understand that it helps to say which kit when it is a managed kit.

When I first got my results back I didn't realise the significance of a managed kit. Got a very abrupt reply from someone I contacted, telling me of the significance. I never contacted her again, though there liked to be a good connection.

But she has taught me something.

In my heading I always, without fail, write 'DNA match between sugarfizzle and Albert Smith' or 'DNA match between sugarfizzle and J J (managed by Albert Smith')', or 'DNA match between AB (managed by sugarfizzle) and Albert Smith'.

I then give real names in the message.

This way there can be no doubt. I expect some matches think it odd, but once I wrote to 'Albert Smith', turned out his daughter was managing the kit, but in his name.

Whatever the misunderstanding, a little politeness goes a long way, in all walks of life.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go