Author Topic: Rippon of Stanhope  (Read 688 times)

Offline ela119

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rippon of Stanhope
« on: Saturday 23 February 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I’m seeking information on Charles Rippon b 1828  d 1910.  He is my wife’s ggf and we are working together on her genealogy.  So far, I have found him in the following records:

1864 entry for Charles Rippon and Caroline Anne Utton (wedding in Guisborough) in England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-1975
1864 entry for Cuthbert Rippon (son christened in Redcar) in England Births and Christenings 1538-1975
1865 entry for Elizabeth Rippon (daughter christened in Marske) in England Births and Christenings 1538-1975
1871 England and Wales Census (residing in Marske)
1881 England and Wales Census (residing in Marske)
1891 England and Wales Census (residing in Marske)
1901 England and Wales Census (residing in Saltburn By The Sea)
1910 England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007 (died in Guisborough)

Birthplace is listed in some records as Thirsk, Yorkshire and in other records as Stanhope, Durham.  I have been unable to locate Charles in the 1841, 1851 or 1861 censuses. 

If anyone has mention of Charles in their own genealogies I would very much appreciate it if you would share your information.  I can provide what I have on Charles’ nonliving descendants, if it would be of interest. 

If anyone is willing to perform a parish record lookup, I would also appreciate that. 

Thanks for considering my request.
Sincerely,
Eric

P.S. This request is also cross-posted to the Yorkshire North Riding Lookup Request Forum.  Apologies for the redundancy.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Rippon of Stanhope
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Shown as 84 when he died - what is his fathers name on his marriage cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 19 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Duplicated post. 

Further replies at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=808881.0

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ela119

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking this up Carole. 

The mystery appears solved and if you follow the link to the Yorkshire North Riding Forum provided by Jomot, you'll see what everybody found.  Briefly, it appears Charles was the son of Hannah Willis who was the common-law wife of Cuthbert Rippon, M.P. of Stanhope.

Although the FAQs frown on duplicate posts, I would ask the moderator to leave this thread on the Durham forum in addition to the thread on the North Riding forum in case other researchers following this line look here.  I will be happy to share all the information I have on the Pennsylvania Rippons.