Author Topic: St Helena Ancestors  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Tankertonred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Helena Ancestors
« on: Sunday 24 February 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother, Sarah Ann Samuel was born on the island of St Helena in about 1846 and she married my great grandfather there in 1863. Records show she may have been a released slave. Her mother was Susannah Samuel and a witness to the wedding was Angelina Samuel.
I'm trying to find Sarah Ann or her mothers roots. Any ideas out there?
Thanks Rod Dexter

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: St Helena Ancestors
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother, Sarah Ann Samuel was born on the island of St Helena in about 1846 and she married my great grandfather there in 1863. Records show she may have been a released slave. Her mother was Susannah Samuel and a witness to the wedding was Angelina Samuel.
I'm trying to find Sarah Ann or her mothers roots. Any ideas out there?
Thanks Rod Dexter

Since all slaves were emancipated by 1834 she could not have been a freed slave. Her moiher Susanah might have been.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk