Author Topic: Carrick on Shannon Workhouse  (Read 3923 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carrick on Shannon Workhouse
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 July 19 21:07 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kathyfez

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 July 19 21:39 BST (UK) »
It is my great great grandfather, he was married twice. Once as you have found in 1889 then before in I think 1861 that's is as far as I can get with my search.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 July 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kgmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
The only Owen Moraghan’s (including spelling variations and Latinized versions) that I have come across so far are:

Owen 1800 - 1870. Farmer, Cleaheen. Pat Morahan was the witness at Owen’s death.

Owen 1807 - 1867. Labourer. Died at Carrick-on-Shannon workhouse.

Owen 1818 - 1904. Farmer, Foxhill. Research would suggest that Owen was the son of Owen 1800 - 1870 and that he inherited the farm from his father. It is also extremely likely that my Great (x2) Grandfather, James (1832 - 1910), was the brother of this Owen.

Owen [Eugenium Moraghan] 1854 - 1913 was the son of Owen (1818 - 1904) and Bridget Muldowney and he married Maria Teresa O'Connor.

Owen (2nd January 1877 - 1927) was the son of Thomas Moraghan and Sarah Higgins. Thomas was the first child of Owen and Bridget Muldowney and was a farmer at Foxhill.

There is a Eugenium Moraghan of Kiltaghart who married a Margaret O’Hara in 1875. (In a lot of Catholic records Owen is Latinised to Eugeniumand its variations)

There is an Owen Moraghan born the 1st January 1877 at Cleaheen to Patrick Moraghan, farmer, and Bridget Flynn. He was one of (about 14 children).

Finally (at the moment anyway) I have come across a 29th June 1843 baptism of Joannem Moraghan at Ardcarn and Tuamna, Roscommon, Ireland whose parents are Eugenii Moraghan and Maria Gildea. One of the witnesses is a Bridget Moraghan.
Moore
Moraghan
Morahan
Kelly
Ganly
Goodswen

Offline kathyfez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the help you are giving me very much appreciated.  My Owen Moraghan which obviously has different variations of spelling it, was mentioned as being deceased on his son's second marriage in 1889.  I have previously a few years ago been in touch with the person researching the Muldowney family, but my Owen is not the one associated with them.  The first two Owens could be a possibility, as stated I only know Thomas Patrick but no other siblings. 

Offline kgmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
You wrote earlier on that ...

It is my great great grandfather, he was married twice. Once as you have found in 1889 then before in I think 1861 that's is as far as I can get with my search.

There is just one Thomas Moraghan who married in 1861 and that was to Anne Duffy on the 11 Feb 1861 in Boyle and Kilbryan, Roscommon. The witnesses to the marriage were Thomas Berne and Honor Morahan.
Moore
Moraghan
Morahan
Kelly
Ganly
Goodswen