Author Topic: Thomas Grant  (Read 1705 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Grant
« on: Sunday 24 February 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I have the following OPR baptism:

3rd Oct 1784: Thomas natural son of James Grant / now gone to America / and Isabel Miller in Nether Tomdow baptised.  James Stuart servant there and Hugh Beaton in Nether Borlume witnesses.

I have Isabel sponsoring an illegitimate child, Robert Banks in Elgin in 1789 and suspect she is the Isabel Miller who died in Elgin in 1801. I have no further information on Thomas and wonder if anyone can find him after his birth.  Isabel may have brought up Robert so the boys could have been together at some time, Thomas could be Grant or Miller and he could have gone to America to join his father at some stage.  I know this is a long shot but I am wondering if anyone can help!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Grant
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Grant
3 Oct 1784
Knockando, Moray, Scotland
James Grant
Isabel Miller

However there were 3 others of that name born in the County but I wonder which one is below.

Brackenslack Moray Farmer Of 9 Acres

Thomas Grant    70
Jane Grant    60
John Grant    30
Helen Grant    23
William Grant    21
Jane Grant  (GD)   8

GRANT THOMAS   married JEAN /JANE GRANT    17/08/1815 Cromdale and Inverallan

There was a Thomas born at this location in 1782 one of the 3 mentioned above.

Their children born Inveravon Banff (On SP but census noted as Inveravon, Moreyshire)
Janet 1818, John 1820, Janet 1822, Helen 1826 & William 1829.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Which parish was this baptism in?

What evidence do you have to suggest that this is the same Isabel Miller who turns up in Elgin in 1789 and 1801?

Edit: I see that ColC posted this information while I was asking the question. My point really is that you must always say in which parish an event took place. There are at least three other places called  Tomdow and two other Borlums in other parts of Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 20:09 GMT (UK) »
How stupid of me!  I failed to notice that I hadn't put the parish - a senior moment.  They seem to be coming thick and fast these days.  Yes, it was Knockando. 

Re: Isabel being the 1801 Isabel Miller death in Elgin,

Robert Banks was the illegitimate son of a married Sunderland businessman.  He was baptised in Elgin and Isabel's brother Charles Miller, a resident of Sunderland, was the sponsor.  Isabel and two others were the witnesses.  As Isabel's father was alive at the time and resident in Knockando, the only reason I can see for the Elgin baptism is that someone related to the mother was resident in Elgin.  Charles was not so I am tentatively assuming it was Isabel.  Robert renewed the stone on Isabel and Charles' parents' grave and there is also listed on that stone a daughter Margaret Miller who died the year of Robert's birth.  The 1801 death in Elgin reads:

March 14th 1801, Elgin.  Died here, (Margaret crossed out) Isabel Miller residenter in Elgin and was buried in the Cathedral Churchyard.

I am wondering if it was Robert who arranged the burial and, when asked his mother's name, said Margaret before it was realised that the dead woman was his aunt and not his mother.  I know this is all speculation and one of the reasons I am trying to find out all I can about Thomas.  I am looking for any further information that may provide clues as to where Isabel died and who was Robert Banks' mother.  Robert died in 1864 in Newcastle.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, seems a reasonably hypothesis.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I really need a trip up to Scotland to go through the Knockando and Elgin Kirk Session records for 1788 and 1789 to see if either parish have any mention of the illegitimate Robert Banks or any reference to Margaret Miller who died in Knockando in 1789 or Isabel.  Not likely this year unfortunately.  I wish they would hurry up and put them online!