Author Topic: Heathfield baptism  (Read 626 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Heathfield baptism
« on: Sunday 24 February 19 21:47 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1841-1871 censuses Thomas Reed was born about 1806 in Heathfield. He married there in 1826 and died there in 1878

I can find no baptism for him around 1806 though, having used the SFHG records and several online websites.

According to a number of online tress......and we all know how accurate they can be!.......he was born in Heathfield in 1803, the son of Samuel Reed and Elizabeth Easton. His first son was christened Samuel but that is not proof he was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth.

I thought I would run this past you all as I cannot find his baptism but that's not to say it's not available. I have just run out of ideas.

Grateful for any help  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heathfield baptism
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »

1851 Thomas Reed born about 1808 Eastbourne, Sussex
Wife Harriett Reed

So I wonder if this is him?

Thomas Reed
Baptism 17 Jan 1808
Herstmonceaux, Sussex, England
William Reed
Harriett

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ColC but no that is another Thomas Reed.

My Thomas Reed is consistent in the censuses, saying he was born in Heathfield and is living there with his wife Harriet, who was born in Battle.

I suspect he was baptised in the non denominational Heathfield Church as that was where I found some of his children's baptisms on FS. However I cannot trace his, although many online trees indicate he was born 1803, son of Samuel and Elizabeth.

I'm not sure if the Heathfield non denominational records are available online for 1803-1806. I guess that is my main query here  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KrissieC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have Thomas Reed, son of William Reed & Harriot Hoade. baptised 17th January 1808 at Herstmonceux.  He married Harriot Boots/Booth 1st May 1826 at Heathfield.  Their 1st child was Samuel born May 1827 bap 3rd June 1827 at Heathfield Independent Chapel.
Sussex - Reed, Sands, Honeysett - Hunnisett - Morris, Pattenden, Hailselden, Manser, Hollands, Shoesmith

Lancs - Catterall

Berks - Soper

London - Dixon, Tildesley