Author Topic: Duncan Burial Site  (Read 809 times)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Burial Site
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion Minniehaha. I will update in case any other family member is watching.

I had a friend call at Archives in Wgtn, both Margaret and Charles had been in the district for 7months on their Intention to Marry. A very kind lady called Trish has also provided me with a printout of Charles Duncan's cemetery details from Westport in 1912 which backs up the Death Printout. He had three sons, 46,44,42 and two daughters 40,38. I have yet to find the girls names. Charles Duncan's father was John Duncan, Master Mariner. Wife was detailed as Margaret Snadon. Also seems to confirm the NZ Papers Past article on Charles Duncan's death.

Obtained the Death Printout for son William in Invercargill 1951. His mother was detailed as Margaret Sneddon. Fathers Occpn, Gold Miner. Visited the local Family History group premises and spent some time looking at microfiche records to find if there was any likelihood of the Duncan death at Ahaura, West Coast being Margaret. The details are year 1897 Folio 2055 on Ancestry however NZBDM cannot find this entry. It is detailed on the fiche as Duncan then a space where the Christian name would be then (M). Not sure if this denotes Male? The Grey DC advise that the cemetery database is lost due to fire/floods and they only have the data from the headstones. Thought it was worth a look as some of the family had been at Coal Creek on the Coast.

It appears that son Charles Jnr was a twin of Mary as they share the same registration number on the old NZBDM microfiche. There is also a death of Mary that could have been her as an infant.

Have pulled lots of data from various sources on the Sons children... Still working on the puzzle of where Margaret was buried :)

Teasing isn't it. Thank you again, June

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.