Author Topic: Duncan Burial Site  (Read 3828 times)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Burial Site
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion Minniehaha. I will update in case any other family member is watching.

I had a friend call at Archives in Wgtn, both Margaret and Charles had been in the district for 7months on their Intention to Marry. A very kind lady called Trish has also provided me with a printout of Charles Duncan's cemetery details from Westport in 1912 which backs up the Death Printout. He had three sons, 46,44,42 and two daughters 40,38. I have yet to find the girls names. Charles Duncan's father was John Duncan, Master Mariner. Wife was detailed as Margaret Snadon. Also seems to confirm the NZ Papers Past article on Charles Duncan's death.

Obtained the Death Printout for son William in Invercargill 1951. His mother was detailed as Margaret Sneddon. Fathers Occpn, Gold Miner. Visited the local Family History group premises and spent some time looking at microfiche records to find if there was any likelihood of the Duncan death at Ahaura, West Coast being Margaret. The details are year 1897 Folio 2055 on Ancestry however NZBDM cannot find this entry. It is detailed on the fiche as Duncan then a space where the Christian name would be then (M). Not sure if this denotes Male? The Grey DC advise that the cemetery database is lost due to fire/floods and they only have the data from the headstones. Thought it was worth a look as some of the family had been at Coal Creek on the Coast.

It appears that son Charles Jnr was a twin of Mary as they share the same registration number on the old NZBDM microfiche. There is also a death of Mary that could have been her as an infant.

Have pulled lots of data from various sources on the Sons children... Still working on the puzzle of where Margaret was buried :)

Teasing isn't it. Thank you again, June

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 May 19 02:40 BST (UK) »
Job done! Thank you all.  I am now in possession of the Death Printout for Margaret Duncan. Details:
Place. Darnum, Victoria Australia. Buried at Warragul, been in Victoria 6 months, probably for son James Grant Duncans wedding in July. Date of death 5 November 1889 at Darnum County of Bula Bula Shire of Warragul, Victoria. Female, 51 years, Bronchitis and Heart disease. Father and Mother: Fathers surname Snawdon (christian name not known) Mothers name Christina Snawdon maiden name of mother not known. Occupation not known. Informant Charles Duncan, husband. Burial registered 7 November 1889 at Warragul Cemetery. Witnesses of Burial W Davies, John Goullet and Rev Willcox Church of England minister. Where born and how long in Australia, Clackmannanshire, Scotland 31 years in New Zealand and 6 months in Victoria. Where married, at Dunedin, Otago aged 21 to Charles Duncan. Children in order of birth:  Alexander deceased, Christina deceased, Alexander 29, James Grant 25, William 23, Peter deceased, Charles 19?, Ellen Grant 17, Christina 16, Peter deceased, Peter 11. Bushfires have destroyed the Cemetery records.
Along the way I have spoken and corresponded with other Duncan descendants of the children above. Any Duncan enquiries please do feel free to contact me.  ;)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 May 19 02:49 BST (UK) »
Further note. I thought that I had found a Mary 1871 that fitted into the family as well however she is not detailed on the Death record. Possibly overlooked? Given that Charles Jnr dob appears to be 4/11/1871 it may not be.

Transcription of Death Registrations 1959-1884
Mary Duncan Died 22 Feb 1871 at West Taieri aged 3 days, daughter of Charles Duncan. Informant her father, a labourer of West Taieri. Register number 81