Author Topic: George Hood Enlisting 1800 & George Hood 43rd Regt. of Foot?  (Read 550 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
George Hood Enlisting 1800 & George Hood 43rd Regt. of Foot?
« on: Monday 25 February 19 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm looking for the origins of my George Hood who both married July 1815 aged 28 (Marriage Bond 16th May 1815, so a 2 month delay before marrying) and died (18th September 1845 aged 60) at Selby Yorkshire, referred to as George Hood of Selby in numerous document copies I have acquired and a Rootschatter has found this:-

1)

First name(s)   George
Last name   Hood
Enlisted year   1800
Enlisted day   3
Enlisted month   Aug
Where enlisted   Manchester
Place   Knearsborough
County   Yorkshire
Remarks   Another Attestation R193(33)
Reference   R191
Page   339
Dataset title   Napoleonic War Records 1775 - 1817
Category   Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory   Regimental & Service Records
Collections from   Great Britain, England

----------

You might recall we discussed two George Hoods in 3 Army records previously, one a Cordwainer, born Burneston/Burniston, Bedale (rejoined so has 2 records) and the other a Weaver, born Bonden Yorkshire, although we never found where Bonden in Yorkshire was (but he was too old).

Thread George Hood 1st Foot Guards born Bonden Yorkshire - Where is Bonden? Army List?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728347.msg5734006#msg5734006

----------

2)

However, I did find a reference to perhaps a 3rd or 4th George Hood, a Paymaster in the 43rd Regt. of Foot. (Light Infantry), this one a Paymaster and serving in the Peninsula War at Toulouse (no age or place of Birth?) and found this in Google Books published in 1844

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=J-gNAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA2-PA94&lpg=RA2-PA94&dq=Toulouse+Regiment+Hood&source=bl&ots=Hpt3UzEuJT&sig=ACfU3U2NaE84iMfTaCdgq203UJ31VmBh7Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK4fbUydbgAhUVVBUIHZ7sC-E4ChDoATABegQIBRAB#v=onepage&q=Toulouse%20Regiment%20Hood&f=false

Paymaster.- P George Hood, 6, 25 Oct. 28;

Footnote 6 Paymaster Hood served the campaign of 1814, in the Peninsula. Present in the attack on New Orleans, 8th Jan. 1815.

P = Peninsula.

-----------

Question
Have we found another two George Hood/s and is it possible to find places of Birth / Residences and their ages, please?

I have always wondered about the two month delay between the application (Marriage Allegation & Bond) by my George Hood for his Marriage Licence and his actual Marriage, suggesting he might have commitments somewhere.

My George Hood also put his future Spouse down as the one having her usual abode at Selby "for the Space of four Weeks last past", rather than himself.

Thank you, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Enlisting 1800 & George Hood 43rd Regt. of Foot?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 19 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have found what appears to be a Pay Book for the 1st Regiment Foot Guards 1806 to 1811 and although the page number/reference is not the same as the posted information, it says for George Hood date of Enlistment or former Service 4 August 1800.

I have checked the George Hood born Bonden, Yorkshire Statement of Service and it says:-
2nd West York 4 Jany 1793 to 3 August 1800.
1st Foot Guards 4 Aug't 1800 to 8 Sept 1814.

Looking at the Service dates it does seem that the George Hood born Bonden was likely the same one that was from Knaresborough, Yorkshire.

I feel this answers my original question regarding the Knaresborough George Hood.

----------

George Hood, Paymaster, 43rd Regiment of Foot

Added: according to the transcription he served from 1793, so too old.

Mark