Author Topic: Temple Lodge Home for Inebriate Women in Torquay  (Read 1658 times)

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Temple Lodge Home for Inebriate Women in Torquay
« on: Monday 25 February 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Temple Lodge Home for Inebriate Women in Torquay, which was operational from 1891-1927. It was run by the Church of England Temperance Society. It was located in Castle Road, where the EF boarding school now is.
Admission registers no longer survive, but using the 1901 and 1911 censuses, newspaper reports and minute books, I have compiled a list of 64 women who were patients at this establishment and am researching their lives. If anyone has any information about Temple Lodge or anyone who was a patient there, I would be very interested to hear from you. Liz

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Lodge Home for Inebriate Women in Torquay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 19 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it opened in 1891, in Cleveland Road. You really need access to the British Newspaper Archive (part of Find My Past). Free access is available at Devon FHS Tree House in Exeter (http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/treehouse.htm) and at Devon Heritage Centre also in Exeter (https://swheritage.org.uk/devon-archives/)
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry, yes it did, and moved to Castle Road as the premises were bigger, and they could therefore generate more income. The British Newspaper Archive has been a wonderful resource, I have managed to increase my list of ladies by 39% thanks to the BNA, as well as adding to my knowledge of the lives of the women who were in there. Although it tended to be those who were less well behaved who made the papers :) I’ve uncovered some very fascinating and tragic tales so far. Liz

Offline Fathippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just come across one of my relatives who was at Temple Lodge on the 1911 census, her name Rose Perry.

Any info would be greatly appreciated?

Julie

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 November 19 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
It’s great to hear from you! Such a coincidence, I’ve just started researching Rose. I have a basic structure so far: her death certificate, her parents’ death certificates, and some parish register and census information. Happy to send you what I have. If it’s of interest, I have just set up (a couple of weeks ago!) a website about Temple Lodge and inebriety in Victorian times, https://inebriateancestors.co.uk/. Let me know if there’s anything I can send you.
Liz

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 November 19 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Enjoyed reading that website, it is the word 'inebriate' that always amuses me - though appreciate it is not really an amusing subject. 
There always have been, and still are, different attitudes to male and female drunks.

Offline Fathippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 November 19 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Replied via your website

Julie

Offline Fathippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 November 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

I would greatly appreciate anything you could supply to me regarding Rose. My email address is in the contact I made yesterday on your website.

Thanks

Julie

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 November 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
A lot of these archaic medical terms sound strange to our modern ears :) Julie - thanks for contacting me via the website, I’ve just replied to your email.