Author Topic: Passenger Lists  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger Lists
« on: Tuesday 26 February 19 00:56 GMT (UK) »
The ship Childe Harold left London via Portsmouth on the 17th February 1849 bound for South Australia.  There were issues with the paperwork after arrival (documents destroyed, ship subsequently foundered so no ship's log that we know of).  Was there any recording (official or unofficial) of passengers on ships outward bound from the U.K. please?   J

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 07:22 GMT (UK) »
There are no Passenger Lists from the UK before 1890.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.   Jennifer

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Several years ago I called in at the S.A. Maritime Museum and they printed out their list for me.  Unfortunately, it appears their main source was the Bio Index of South Australians (the list included two daughters one of whom stayed in Sydney and the other arrived in South Australia at another time).  The list also included one son who was about six years old at the time and he is on their list as a farmer.  Someone has made an effort at consolidating information but it does not accurately represent who arrived on the ship.  No-one's fault but it must be confusing for anyone seeking information on this family for the first time.  A complication is that the documentation for this arrival was destroyed by accident, and the ship went down on its outward voyage so there is no ship's log. The only record of passengers arriving is the list printed in three S.A. newspapers which would have all come from the same source. I and other researchers have trouble with this documentation for reasons very long-winded to go into.  The ship was the Childe Harold which arrived off Holdfast Bay on the 1st June, 1849.  Regards, Jennifer