Author Topic: Marriage just before Adoption 1953  (Read 754 times)

Offline Sallyb79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage just before Adoption 1953
« on: Tuesday 26 February 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Victoria Maternity Hospital Barnet on  the 20th April 1953 and put up for Adoption. After searching my parents history they got married a few weeks before I was born which has completely confused me. Anybody have any idea why both my biological parents would get married weeks before I was to be born? My mother would have been heavily pregnant. My mother was 39 years old so not a young mother.
Pereira, Lopes, Beattie, Duncan

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage just before Adoption 1953
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
By marrying before the birth they ensured you were legitimate, which may suggest that they intended to try and keep you, but it isn't unheard of for a married couple to have a baby adopted. It is much less common than for single mothers but perhaps there were  financial or other family reasons why that decision had to be taken.

One possibility may be that the man she married wasn't the biological father, and the adoption was a condition of the marriage going ahead, if he didn't want to raise another man's child.

Your adoption records, which you can access (if you haven't already) would usually have some information on the family circumstances and the reasons why adoption was being sought.

Offline Sallyb79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response it is really helpful. I didn't think about marriage before Adoption to make a birth legitimate.  :)
Pereira, Lopes, Beattie, Duncan

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Adoption always makes a child legitimate, so marrying for that reason ( if the adoption decision had already been taken) wasn't really necessary.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you applied for your adoption records ? Because that is the only place you might find an answer.
Unfortunately we can only guess at the reason , only your Parents know the truth.