Author Topic: Boer War - Harry Podd died 1902 - Hussars  (Read 1944 times)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War - Harry Podd died 1902 - Hussars
« on: Tuesday 26 February 19 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I think I have this correct, but perhaps someone can verify some of my gaps or point out mis-steps?

Harry Podd, Private in the 7th Hussars , Service record  4582

The Boer War information I have is from www.angloboerwar.com and the free information from the site www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

I had a suggestion that a Harry Podd born in Suffolk in 1878 - for whom no records of death or marriage could be located, and family information was that he served in the Boer War - matched the information above.

This suggested individual was the son of William Podd, who was born in 1851, and Sarah Forsdike,  born 1854, and all three were born in Suffolk.

So I had Harry Podd - born Sep 1878 in Tuddenham St Martin, Suffolk and died in 1902 after the Boer War in South Africa.

If it is to be true that these match, he had 18 siblings; his father married Sarah Forsdike and he had 2 siblings who both died in infancy (Laura, William);  his mother Sarah died in 1880 and his father William remarried to Ada Girling (b. 1864) and she had 15 children between 1883 and 1905. Sarah's husband William died in 1914.

I would expect some newspaper reports, but as far as I know he was unmarried.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War - Harry Podd died 1902 - Hussars
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
There was a Private Harry Podd of the right age in the 7th Hussars at Aldershot in 1901 per the census. He was born at Tuddenham.

He is on the South Africa medal roll but there is nothing on the medal roll to suggest that he had died.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Forgive me if you have been round this buoy already but, as there is another H Podd in the Anglo Boer War records this one from the Suffolk Regiment who died 21 Jun 1900, what was it that made you land on the Hussar H Podd rather than the other?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
MaxD - yes, Harry Podd with service record 2707 is one that I have confirmed, with help from RootsChat (but also elsewhere) as a different part of the Podd families in Suffolk (and elsewhere).

It was known that the currently-sought Harry Podd was in the Hussars.

FindMyPast does show this Boer War soldier in a South African (deaths) list -

Podd  H   
(event)          1899-1902 
(Record set)   British Armed Forces And Overseas  Deaths And Burials
(Location)      South Africa

[Edit} Or maybe not, conceivably the other (# 2707) - I don't have further access to that record. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 15:14 GMT (UK) »
The one on the 1899-1902 army deaths index is the one who was in the Suffolk Regiment.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Got it, hadn't seen earlier searches.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see, and as already pointed out, only one H Podd was actually a casualty in the Boer War and that was the one in the Suffolk Regiment.

Harry the Hussar just seems to vanish after the Boer War - perhaps he was discharged in South Africa and stayed there.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think Annette may be right about that. Though he may have been killed and not reported? I don't know if that would have occurred; military records would list him as missing and not accounted for if that were the case, I think.

I don't have access to online UK newspaper notices, which I would expect to have been in Suffolk papers in 1901/1902.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 

I am in NSW,  Australia,  and perhaps westernwombat is too, as wombat suggests this to me, plus Westernwombat is currently online as I write and the current time is about 1/4 past 11 o'clock in the morning.   

So,  in case westernwombat is based in Australia, I share that Australians can access online UK newspapers via the e-resources pages readily available on their reader cards via the National Library of Australia,  and often also via their state public library or even via their local council public library, ....
.... I don't have access to online UK newspaper notices, which I would expect to have been in Suffolk papers in 1901/1902.

Fingers crossed this is helpful

ADD,  detailed info on the 7th Hussars and the Boer War, and their return to UK in Nov 1905 ... https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishcavalry/7thhussars.htm

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.