Author Topic: Boer War - Harry Podd died 1902 - Hussars  (Read 1955 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War - Harry Podd died 1902 - Hussars
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 07:14 GMT (UK) »
THE WAR IN SOUTH AFRICA .
The Standard (London, England),
Saturday, November 17, 1900

DEATHS FROM DISEASE
ETC
ETC
Suffolk  Regiment - 2707 Privat H Podd [enteric] Johannesburg June 21.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Podd   H   4582   Private   QSA (5).
Source: QSA medal rolls     7th (The Queen's Own) Hussars
--------------------------------------------------------
Podd   H   2707   Private   1st Battalion
Demise: Died of disease 21 Jun 1900
Place: Johannesburg
Source: In Memoriam by S Watt     Suffolk Regiment

Podd   H   2707   Private   Died of disease. Johannesburg, 21 June 1900
1st Battalion. MI
Source: South African Field Force Casualty Roll   Suffolk Regiment

https://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have seen these and other PODD at the angloboerwar website (and other such sites).

I know a lot about #2707 - in fact, see a similar topic that I asked about him, this same part of RootsChat forum, within the last week. I know a lot about his family.

This Harry Podd is the #4582, and I know little except what has been posted above.

However, I do need to get access to and search the UK papers from my library and / or genealogy group - not in the UK.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 08:13 GMT (UK) »
There are no clues in the newspapers as far as I can see.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 08:20 GMT (UK) »
#9 post on here is the only newspaper article i can find, there may be more but i couldnt see any.

If you are in Australia you can apply for a Library card which will give you access to the UK newspapers online. Your card number is your "user ID" to access online.

https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 09:38 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I can see in the British Newspapers for Suffolk is a "Harry Podd" aged 13 being accused of selling stolen tools in 1894.

And, presumably the same "Harry Podd" whose father lived in Great Whip Street, Ipswich (guessing here) falling in the river being fished out by watermen.

You can read both these articles for free (you get 3 free pages) by registering at https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

I do this from NZ

Can't see a mention of his death (would 1 of 18 children from a combined family make to the papers everytime?)
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
#9 post on here is the only newspaper article i can find, there may be more but i couldnt see any.

If you are in Australia you can apply for a Library card which will give you access to the UK newspapers online. Your card number is your "user ID" to access online.

https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

i have already mentioned the Library Card option  :D  ;D  here's a list of those newspapers  :)

https://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/browse/149

Hi, 

I am in NSW,  Australia,  and perhaps westernwombat is too, as wombat suggests this to me, plus Westernwombat is currently online as I write and the current time is about 1/4 past 11 o'clock in the morning.   

So,  in case westernwombat is based in Australia, I share that Australians can access online UK newspapers via the e-resources pages readily available on their reader cards via the National Library of Australia,  and often also via their state public library or even via their local council public library, ....
.... I don't have access to online UK newspaper notices, which I would expect to have been in Suffolk papers in 1901/1902.

Fingers crossed this is helpful

ADD,  detailed info on the 7th Hussars and the Boer War, and their return to UK in Nov 1905 ... https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishcavalry/7thhussars.htm

JM[/size]

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
A library card is only one option

Registering at the https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk gives instant access for 3 free articles

Posting as a helpful aid to the original poster, that is all.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
A possible scenario is that Harry Podd returns to UK with the 7th Hussars in 1905 leaving the army and remaining in Suffolk perhaps leaving the army in about 1912.  That would add up with a man joining on a very common 12 year engagement just before/during the Boer War (he did not go to S Africa until after the 1901 census). (Dates here are a bit loose).

Then we have 1533 Lance Corporal Harry Podd, a member of 1/4th Suffolk Regiment, joining that Territorial Force (TF) unit in Suffolk in January 1913, going to France with them on 8 November 1914 and being discharged wounded on 30 August 1916.  Previous service contributing to his appointment as Lance Corporal.  His different unit means he has a different service number.

Proof - none.  Clues - only the likely service path of a man of his age who leaves the army but joins the TF to continue soldiering part time while plying his civilian trade and the fact that as far as I can tell, where a forename is given, he is the only H Podd that is consistently Harry in the records.

May be worth concentrating on the mid 1916 time frame for his re-appearance in UK?

Feel, free to ignore it all  :)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia