Author Topic: Bolton Workhouse Lookup Request  (Read 1179 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bolton Workhouse Lookup Request
« on: Tuesday 26 February 19 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone may be able to do a look up for a young woman and her baby around October 1912 in the Bolton Union Workhouse?  She is a bit of a puzzle.

There is an admission entry for an Elizabeth Ann Battista age 24 and her baby son John age 5 months at the Tynemouth Workhouse on October 9th 1912.  The entry records that they had been transferred from Bolton Union.

I can't find a registration for the baby.  Someone else contacted the archives and they had a quick look and could not see anyone of this name.   However, the Tynemouth record clearly records she had been transferred from the Bolton Union.  So I wonder if the person who checked the records has missed her or if she may have been going under alias surname.

This person first entered the Tynemouth workhouse on 17 November 1902 age 15 and was discharged on August 17th 1904 age 16.  It was recorded at that time that she was taken out by a 'W Brabant'.

On a later Great War record for her brother she appears to have become 'E A Moralee'  although I can't seem to find a marriage which would fit. ???

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has the time to help with this matter.  Many thanks in advance if anyone can.

I am trying to help someone else out with a long running brickwall and although this is not solved as yet I feel we are beginning to get a measure of things.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton Workhouse Lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 11:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration for
Anthony Battista
Oct/Nov/Dec 1912
Newcastle upon Tyne
Mother's maiden name was given as Baker

17th October 1912 died February 1961

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heatherjulie but I believe that baby was another relative in the same family.  If it was true that baby John was 5 months on October 1912 his birth must have been around April 1912.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Battista
registered April/May/June 1912
Newcastle upon Tyne
mmn Holliday

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again but I believe this one is accounted for and is not John.  Although, this Arthur is of the same family line.

Elizabeth Ann Battista was described as a spinster mother in the Tynemouth admission register.

I might add they were both discharged from Tynemouth workhouse on January 30 1913.  The next sighting of Elizabeth is on a war record siting her as one of her brother's siblings - by then she has somehow become E A Moralee. ???

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 December 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
It has been a while since I started this thread and no one has been able to check the admissions.

However, I am making a fresh appeal as new information has come forth.

It transpires that Elizabeth had her baby in the Bolton workhouse (Fishpool) under her Mother's maiden name - Elizabeth Lawson.  Her baby was called Jack Lawson and they only became Elizabeth and John Battista when they transferred back to the Tynemouth workhouse.  (Battista was her real surname)  Her son Jack was born in the workhouse on 31 March 1912 according to the Bolton workhouse births on FamilySearch .  So my guess is they entered the Bolton Workhouse a within a few months prior to 31 March 1912.

Would anyone be willing/able to check the admissions for 'Elizabeth Lawson'?  It would be of particular interest to know if any next if kin was recorded on admission.

This really would be amazing if someone could offer as the answer might help lead to solving a long standing brick wall I am trying to help other RootsChatters with.

Thank you.