Author Topic: Burial of Hannah Nash nee Strange d 1955 Staffs  (Read 874 times)

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
Burial of Hannah Nash nee Strange d 1955 Staffs
« on: Tuesday 26 February 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Would appreciate any help in finding the burial place of my great grandmother. I had a researcher look into it and she found an article about her death as below but no record of her burial.
She was born 23 Aug 1861, Broad Blunsden, Wilts and died 14 Jan, 1955 in Staffordshire General Infirmiary [have her death cert.]
Her husband, Henry Nash, died aged 48 in Co. Cork, Ireland and is buried in St. Fin Barres Cemetery, in Glasheen, Co. Cork. I think I wrote to ask if  she was buried with him but no reply. He was a Mason.
Thanks you.

Genealogist's report:

The following parishes [all neighbouring Haughton] were looked at for Hannah's burial in 1955 [all were on microfiche]

Haughton, St Giles -­ none (I also checked the original register)
Church Eaton, St Editha -­ none Gnosall, St Lawrence -­ none Ranton, All Saints -­ none Stafford CastleChurch, St Mary -­ none Ellenhall, St Mary -­ none Marston, St Leonard -­ none Blymhill, St Mary -­ none Weston-­under-­Lizard, St Andrew -­ none
Stafford Cemetery (Eccleshall Rd) -­ none Stone, St Michael -­ none Stone, Christ Church -­ none

Other parishes whose burial registers were not available for viewing (i.e. not been deposited with the Archives or do not have a burial ground) were Bradley and Lapley, St Mary.
I also checked the non-­conformist records for Haughton if there is a circuit that covers this parish and I can confirm that none exists.

Other resources
I then had a look at Haughton Parish Magazine for 1955. There is a short paragraph [re her death].
I went over to Haughton to visit the church there ....... I could not find any memorial inside the church dedicated to Mrs Hannah Nash, unfortunately.
The local newspapers (seen at the William Salt Library) were the next port of call. I looked up the Staffordshire Advertiser and Chronicle, a weekly publication, over 4 weeks 14th [?] January to 10th February 1955. There were no death notices.
However, I read through every single page to see if there was anything else and I indeed found something of interest:
Staffordshire Advertiser (Stafford Edition) 21st January 1955
An inquest will be held today (Tuesday) on 93-­year old Mrs. Hannah Nash, of Park Cottage, Haughton, who was injured in an accident at her home on January 5th. She slipped on the stairs and fractured her left leg. She was removed to Staffordshire General Infirmary where she died on Friday.
There was no further notice
I checked with the staff at the Staffordshire Archives as to the location of the Staffordshire General Infirmary and it is actually at Stafford. So it is confirmed that she died in Stafford not Stone as you originally thought.

Suggestions
This obviously now confirms that ........ [?]

Churches do not record funeral services in official register books and they do not record any scattered ashes on the churchyard so we will never know if her ashes were placed at 
With her husband at Cork Cemetery
If she had a child who died before her, she may be on this grave
Returned to where she was born & bred in Broad Blundsen in Wiltshire
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot