Author Topic: Burials from Devon County Mental Hospital, Exminster  (Read 1239 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Burials from Devon County Mental Hospital, Exminster
« on: Tuesday 26 February 19 14:02 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandmother, Lilian Maud Bowdler, was a long-term patient at the Devon County Mental Hospital. She is shown there on the 1939 Register and her death certificate shows that she died there in April 1952.

My question is, where is she likely to have been buried? She was never mentioned by the family when my Mum was growing up. In fact, it was only through my research over the last few years that we discovered how long she lived, because it was widely thought she died back in the 1920s.

I know that the former hospital buildings have been redeveloped for residential use and are now called Devington Park. I don’t hold out any hope of finding a headstone but I’d like to know her final resting place.

Many thanks, JaneyH
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials from Devon County Mental Hospital, Exminster
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey, have you seen the info below?

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/AsylumBurials

Lilian Maude BOWDLER age 68 buried 25.4.1952 in the Asylum Cemetery.

EDIT: forgot to credit Jeff Ellis for the transcriptions.

Information on the cemetery is here.
http://rememberingdcmh.exeter.ac.uk/exhibits/show/a-walk-through/the-church

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Flemming! I thought a burial ground adjacent to the hospital was most likely, but I was unaware of the records on the Genuki site. I’m pleased I now know where she ended up.

I was in touch with Dr Nicole Baur a few years back but the website has clearly grown since I last looked at it. I’ll have a proper look when I get home this evening.

I’m toying with the idea of a family history trip to Devon in the summer, so I’ll have to see if I can visit the site.
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Formerly known as Redways before it became the county asylum. My family owned it back in 16th and 17th centuries.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.