Author Topic: Help with Latin Court Roll  (Read 327 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with Latin Court Roll
« on: Wednesday 27 February 19 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me understand what is happening in this Court Roll Entry?
(The 2nd page of the first image and 1st page of the second image)

I've been tracking what was later described as the old Manor House and Manor lands backwards to discover the building's origin, and have come back to the Latin which I'm not too good at.

I think this is a Regrant of the Lord to Robert Chapman of Land which is described (in English) later when his son Reuben takes it up in 1740 as:

•   One Messuage or Tenement in Hethersett with a piece of Land adjoining containing together 1 acre lying between land late of Edmund Staines East, Land of the Rectory of Hethersett West, and abutting upon the Common pasture called Bray Meadow Common North and land late of the said Edmund Staines South

Which premises are and time immemorial have been Customary Tenements of this Manor Demisable by Copy of Court Roll in Fee Simple at the Will of the Lord.

I think that this entry basically says the same thing, but I'm stymied as to who had it beforehand - or is this as far back as it goes, and the Lord held this Land to himself before this?
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin Court Roll
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 17:23 GMT (UK) »
   •   One Messuage or Tenement in Hethersett with a piece of Land adjoining containing together 1 acre lying between land late of Edmund Staines East, Land of the Rectory of Hethersett West, and abutting upon the Common pasture called Bray Meadow Common North and land late of the said Edmund Staines South

Which premises are and time immemorial have been Customary Tenements of this Manor Demisable by Copy of Court Roll in Fee Simple at the Will of the Lord.

I think that this entry basically says the same thing, but I'm stymied as to who had it beforehand - or is this as far back as it goes, and the Lord held this Land to himself before this?

Yes, that is exactly what this court roll says, almost to the letter, and nothing more, so it’s really not worth writing out again in either Latin or English. There is no recitation of previous ownership. The premises were held by the lord himself when they were granted to Robert Chapman, who paid one shilling on admission.

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin Court Roll
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Bookbox.

I had thought that might be the case, but hope springs eternal  ::)

There's about a hundred years of latin rolls before this, and maybe the Lord granted the Manor House out at an earlier stage as well, but I think I have to call this an end to my backwards search for the moment :)
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham