Author Topic: Gordon Highlanders  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon Highlanders
« on: Wednesday 27 February 19 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I’m trying to establish if a family member had any WW1 service. The photo apparently shows Walter Jones (back right) who was born in or around Middlesbrough in 1888. After a little research, the uniform in the photo seems to be the Gordon Highlanders.
Walter married Mary Rebecca Cooper in 1911, they had three children, Ida, Joseph, and Rosetta. He apparently died in 1916 in an accident at work (I think he worked in a steel mill or similar).
I’m wondering how he was not called up, maybe he was! Could someone help or point me in the right direction to find out about any WW1 service etc for him? TIA.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
The photo apparently shows Walter Jones
How sure are you it's him?
As he died a civilian it's possible he was in the Special Reserve & went back to his day job.
However the photo doesn't look like that. This looks like 4 serving soldiers rather than men on training.
If he worked in the steel industry he may have been a "starred man" & exempt from military service & the photo is someone else.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
The photo came from his youngest (Rosetta) obviously passed away now but she was always told it was her father, I have to say the resemblance is very strong so as far as I know its him. A bit of a mystery as she never knew him. Were the Gordons recruiting around Teeside then?

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Bill, send them a query.

http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/Research

Malky.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not seeing a medal card, SWB, pension or service record ( bearing in mind around 70% of service records were destroyed in the blitz). It's possible he was a pre war regular & time served by 1914 although most men elected to join their County Regts.
As his daughter never knew him she might be mistaken or it may be a brother.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 19 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Bill, send them a query.

http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/Research

Malky.

Flattybasher9 thanks for that, I will send them an email but after a little reading on their website, I think they want paying for any search, which is understandable as they are a charity.

I'm not seeing a medal card, SWB, pension or service record ( bearing in mind around 70% of service records were destroyed in the blitz). It's possible he was a pre war regular & time served by 1914 although most men elected to join their County Regts.
As his daughter never knew him she might be mistaken or it may be a brother.

Jim1, many thanks for all your help it is much appreciated. If he served pre-war which is very possible given his age, could the Gordon’s have records of him and maybe his service?

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 March 19 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Edit, I've just read on the Gordon's website they DONT hold any service records

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 19 15:28 GMT (UK) »
They have supplied me with records in the past. They probably will require a payment but it can be anything up to £30.00. It depends what they find. If they find nothing, they will not charge you.
You will never find out if you do not ask.

http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/Research#.XHlPQIj7Tcc

Malky

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 April 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
I received a reply from the gordons, not what I was hoping for with regard to my relative but may help others researching the gordons, I have edited the reply below

“The Museum holds little or no information on individual enlisted soldiers who served in the Regiment.  As you are aware, the full service records, if they still exist, for all pre 1921 soldiers are held at National Archives, Kew.  Unfortunately during a WW2 air raid the records for more than 90% of soldiers of the Gordons of the circa WW1 era were destroyed.  Like yourself, I can find no trace of any for a Walter Jones.
I can advise you that no soldier of that name was serving with the Gordons in 1911.  The known muster rolls held at the Museum for some BNs at the start of WW1 also proved negative.  Similarly no soldier named Walter Jones was on active service with the Regiment in a War Theatre during WW1. 
What I can confirm from your photograph is he was certainly a Gordon Highlander in 1915.  From the appearance of his two Private ranked comrades and himself I am of the opinion they were WW1 volunteers.  The head-dress worn in the photograph, the Tam O’Shanter or TOS, did not come into wear until 1915.  I can see no Territorial Force metal emblems on their tunic epaulettes which tends to suggest he and his two Private ranked comrades had been members of one of the Regiment’s Service Battalions which had been raised at the outbreak of WW1 for eventual service in France and Flanders.  As all Gordon Highlander Front Line; including the Service; Battalions were on active service in France and Flanders by July 1915 then the photograph would be from around the Spring of 1915.
Without having access to Private Walter Jones’ service records, or finding any other source, I cannot give any answer as to why he would have been discharged back to civil life by 1916.  I note he was killed at his civil employment in possibly a steel mill or similar establishment.  It may well have been he was discharged from the Army due to the importance of his civil employment to the war effort.
I regret that I can add nothing further to the above report in this instance.”

I'm now getting a story 3rd or 4th hand that he was "blown up" ? could be anything.

I have donated £20 to the gordons. Many thanks for the above replies.