Author Topic: MOD search.... how long?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOD search.... how long?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 10:15 GMT (UK) »
So its been eight weeks now and I've heard nothing so I called the number that Rosie posted above. The person I spoke to confirmed that they had received the application but they had identified that I may be related to the the person I'm enquiring about (I am distantly) and they wanted to know if I wanted to continue with a general application or a next of kin application. Apparently someone should have contacted me to ask but it never happened so they have just sat on the application. They are now going to process the request but obviously their own mistake doesn't count for anything because they say the request will take a couple of months from today's date. I'm not impressed.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I waited almost a year to the day for my father in law’s records (some years ago).  I think a wait of only a month or two is quite reasonable.  :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Mistakes happen, it will probably arrive sooner than you have quoted.   :)

I certainly had excellent service from them by phone and email when I was trying to get one that was not straightforward.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
What you have to remember is they are also dealing with other things related to serving and ex service personnel. Family history will be way down on their priorities.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
What you have to remember is they are also dealing with other things related to serving and ex service personnel. Family history will be way down on their priorities.

He is ex service (as am I). I'm enquiring about his record on behalf of his surviving son who is in his 80's so time is a factor. I'm sorry but four months seems excessive especially considering their error. It is made perfectly clear that there are two sets of forms to complete dependant on whether you are applying for a general search or a next of kin search. I chose general search because I am not his next of kin. For them to sit on the application for eight weeks because they thought I might have filled out the wrong form but without actually contacting me is careless to put it mildly but as someone who has worked with the MOD for most of my life, I don't find it surprising.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
As Max said earlier they have a backlog.  If you are unhappy then you really need to take it up with them. 

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The point is that it’s not HIS record that’s you’ve applied for. The fact that both of you are ex-service is immaterial. My experiences with the service records staff in applying for three sets of records are all very satisfactory.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 March 19 10:13 GMT (UK) »
The point is that it’s not HIS record that’s you’ve applied for. The fact that both of you are ex-service is immaterial. My experiences with the service records staff in applying for three sets of records are all very satisfactory.

Imber

Yes it is HIS record I have applied for and obviously he was ex-service because I'm applying for his service record. I'm pleased that your experiences have been good but mine has certainly not been good. If I hadn't telephoned, my application would have sat in someones in-tray for ever.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 March 19 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I am confused.  Are you saying that the records you have applied for are for someone who is still living.

I applied for my parents records, my mother was still alive so she signed both forms and there was no charge.