Author Topic: Kinross family  (Read 1769 times)

Offline sunni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kinross family
« on: Sunday 14 August 05 12:20 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information about my grandfather henry george kinross (born  liverpool 1871, registered as charles henry) came to australia early 1900s. enlisted in army in adelaide in south australia 1916 . also his first wife annie winifred (nee kavanagh), and their children. a daughter, ethelburga, born about 1902, and a son john bernard who was born 1911. there may have been other children. agnes born 1905, and henry born 1909 may be children of henry and annie. i believe that ethelburga came to australia, but am not sure about annie and any other children.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Kinross family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 05 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi There Sunni......

Annie Winifred Kavanagh , was married to Charles Kinross.

Registered Barrow in Furness , Cumbria , in the December qtr of 1899 , Volume number 8e page 1555

This is the information you need , if you wish to buy the marriage certificate. You can apply online at  www.gro.gov.uk

This is them on the 1901 census

Charles H Kinross / head / 36 / boarder / electrician/ born L'Pool
Anne Kinross / wife / 27 /boarder / born St Helen's , Lancs /

Ethelburga , was born at Barrow in Furness , her birth was registered in Dec 1902 volume 8e page 798

I have to go to work now , but if you would like me to look up either  of them in earlier census , I would be pleased to help

Kind regards
Jeannie
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline sunni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much Jeannie.I am very keen to find out what other children Henry (Charles) and Annie had, and in particular  whether Agnes b. 1905, and Henry B 1909 belonged to them..
Do you know where I can find out about when and how they came to Australia? I have a feeling that only Henry and Ethelburga came to Australia, but it is only a hunch. Maybe he deserted her in which case his second marriage to my grandmother was bigamous! And as for John Bernard b. 1911, I have no idea. There is no record of him in Australia, but I am fairly sure that Ethelburga was here in 1916. Hope to hear more from you. Sunni.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 18:08 BST (UK) »
Sunni ,

I will certainly look up the births for you , but it may be inconclusive , as until 1911 , mothers maiden names  were not used in the gro registration indexes....I can certainly , I hope , find where they were born , which may give a clue......

As to emigration . I suggest you try the "Emigrants to Australia" forum , on this site , I am sure there will be a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned....

best wishes
Jeannie

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunni

I have Agnes Kinross / registered Toxteth Park / Sept qtr 1905 /  volume number 8b page 234.......

Toxteth Park , is where the Kinross family were living in 1881 . It is part of Liverpool.....do you have the details ?

Jeannie

Offline sunni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Jeannie,
I have dates and place names for the births of Agnes and Henry, but am unsure whether they were children of Henry and Annie, so haven't purchased birth certificates as yet. The cost of certificates mounts up, so am keen to make sure that I have the right people. I will try the shipping lists you suggested. Any ideas about John Bernard Kinross, b.1911? Perhaps a marriage or death in the U.K.  Cheers, Sunni.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
Sunni......

I have found Henry Kinross Birth.

Henry Kinross/ Toxteth Park/ June qtr 1909/ vol 8b page 183

I have searched for a marriage for John Bernard Kinross , from 1933-1938 , and found nothing . This was based on the fact he would be 21 plus , when he married.

I found the marriage for Agnes Kinross

Agnes Kinross/Robert L'estrange / Liverpool/ Sept 1934 / vol 8b page 464

Did you know , that if you order online , you can have a series of check points , ie Mothers name , maiden name , must be Kavanagh

If the details don't match up , they only charge £3

I haven't looked in the death index for John Bernard . (no units left)

Good Luck
Jeannie

Offline sunni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 August 05 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Jeannie,
I will try what you suggest, and order online for birth certificates for Agnes and Henry to see whether they are the children of Henry and Agnes. As for John B., I can only assume that he came to Australia when his father came. Records here are very poor, because we are such a young country, and prior to 1901 were a collection of separate states, which did their own thing. All I know is that my grandfather came to Australia between 1901 and 1916, becqause he was listed in the 1901 U.K. census, and I have copies of his enlistment papers for the Australian army in South Australia in 1916. The birth of John in 1911 would indicate that he was still living in Liverpool in 1911, but it is quite possible that he was not John's real father. Cheers, Chris.