Author Topic: Adoption Records: for Jean Ellen Matthews Smith  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Allison Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Adoption Records: for Jean Ellen Matthews Smith
« on: Thursday 28 February 19 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello : "ADOPTION RECORDS" If anyone can help that would be great: Searching for mothers adoption birth information  my name is Allison Smith daughter  Of Jean Ellen Matthews Smith: My mother was adopted On June 20-1923 In Los Angeles California to  Clyde Herbert Mathews  and  Golden Jean Matthews  (Kerr) (sometimes called Goldie) I am trying to search for my mother adoption record to see if it has her real parents name on it and where they come from and who they are connected with etc... I heard of a name  of Fitzgerald but unsure of spelling but that was a long time ago my Mother is unable to get records as she has passed away many years ago March of 1990 so if anyone can help that would be great: looking forward to hearing from you soon
thank you
Allison Ruth Smith

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records: for Jean Ellen Matthews Smith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 19 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

As I understand things (I am not American!) adoption records in Californis are sealed, and you require a Court Order to see them.

See: http://www.cdss.ca.gov/Adoption-Services/Adoptee-Information/Adoption-Records
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 19 13:49 GMT (UK) »
HI Welcome to RootsChat from me to.
Didn't see anything under Fitzgerald.

California Birth Index

Jean Ellen Matthews   20 Jun 1923 Los Angeles.
Mother's Maiden Name Kerr.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VL5W-JKX

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index - Jean Ellen Matthews - Jean Ellen Smith - Jean Smith - 20 June 1923 - Los Angeles California. Passed away 15 March 1990. Father listed as Clyde H Matthews Mother Goldyn J Kerr.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 19 14:16 GMT (UK) »

Have you thought about DNA testing to see if that's an avenue you can follow. ?

Shelly might be able to give you better advice than I can - I hope she doesn't mind me saying, that she herself was an adoptee.  Feel sure she did find information to help her.

Sandra

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, like Sandra said, I successfully used autosomal DNA testing to find my biological father and would recommend trying that if possible.  It's close enough in generations that you have a good shot at getting matches to steer you in the right direction.  Ancestry.com has the biggest database of people who have tested, especially among Americans, so that is probably the best option.  They often have sales if price is an issue.

For future reference, please use the terms "biological parents" or "birth parents" rather than "real parents".

Offline Allison Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
photos # still looking for biological grandparents
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
 Hi:
Allison Smith again  searching for any photo's of Jean Ellen Matthews (as a girl or any)
Clyde Herbert Matthews (when married, husband or any)
Goldyn Jeanne Matthews (as married wife or any) maiden name Kerr

still searching for anything on biological grandparents probably born in the the late 1800-1880's
Thanks  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: photos # still looking for biological grandparents
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 19 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allison and welcome to Rootschat...In order to help you, you need to give as much information as you can, dates and places of birth is a good start, but don't name people who might still be living. Do you have them on any census returns.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU