Author Topic: PHILIPPINES DEATH of George Brown & Hannah Brown (née Woodward) 1850  (Read 5601 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PHILIPPINES DEATH of George Brown & Hannah Brown (née Woodward) 1850
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Agreed.

Possibly she was baptised as Hannah but known as Anne; husband predeceased her, and the informant may not have known she was a Hannah. Just conjecture.

LDS has microfilmed lots of Philippines records including deaths, burials and probate records but you need to be an LDS member to view the images.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:36 GMT (UK) »
By the profile of the OP he is possibly from Australia. I'm not sure what the LDS centres are like there. Although I do recall, a good while ago, that someone said that there were problems  obtaining info.  It would probably be as easy to get the GRO certs, depending upon how much they need the info.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:41 GMT (UK) »
For info - I also found a birth record for a George Brown in Sydney (St Marys,) in 1824 which would give an approx age of 25-6 in 1850.  Parents - George and Catherine.

Ref- NSW Births V1824521 125
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I found a slightly different newspaper mention which is very much the same as the one Andy_T posted, but mentions a brother of George's.  I'm just tossing it out there in case it is of some interest to the OP.

Colonial Times 01 Oct 1850 Pg 2

DIED
At Manila, in April last, in the 25th year of his
age, Mr. George Brown, youngest brother of
Charles William Brown, Compositor, Colonial
Times
Office, Hobart Town, for many years in
the employ of Mr Richard Dawson, Ironfounder,
George-street, Sydney.
At the same place, in May, in the 23rd year of her
age, Mrs. Brown, wife of the above, and
eldest daughter of the late Mr. Edward Wood-
ward, of Phillip-street, Sydney.

Majm mentioned that Richard Dawson, was a significant person, so for anyone interested:
https://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/richard_dawsons_australian_foundry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:57 GMT (UK) »
this suggesting the deaths were at Manilla NSW (it is up near Tamworth)
http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/brown-george-14383

But it doesn't suggest that at all !

Hi ShaynJ ,  Please please read all of that post, as the extract you are quoting is part of the longer post, and that live link is part of a live link to the Australian Dictionary of Biography.   You will note that I had already checked NSW BDM in case there was a likely Early Church Record to indicate a George or Hannah Brown burial in NSW in 1850, and also provided a live link to a possible check for any cemeteries in Manilla NSW.   

In my view, family history can be about (oops spelling error ) eliminating possibles ....  You may also notice that I too had commented on the possibility of the deaths being Manila Philippines and I had commented on the time factor between the deaths and the newspaper cutting ... and mentioned trading ships bringing mail via various ports back to NSW. 

JM

British Subject YES Gadget is of course Spot On  :D  Yes, lost in the 1980s.   :)  1986 and the formalities continued in Australia ... Our Head of State was replaced,   ;)  yes ... Our Head of State was legislated .... and she is Queen of Australia  ... and only this century, one of our Prime Ministers organised for her husband to be knighted.... (2015 I think).

But on a family history note ... The Richard Dawson in that cutting that Andy found for the Manila deaths of George and Hannah Brown in 1850 ... well ... he was a significant industrialist, many employees, so it is interesting that he is mentioned in that newspaper cutting dating several months after their deaths ... sea voyages with mail back to NSW from Manila may have called in at several ports on a long trading voyage ...

and
http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/dawson-richard-dicky-14382

and

this suggesting the deaths were at Manilla NSW (it is up near Tamworth)
http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/brown-george-14383

I have had a quick skim at NSW BDM online deaths .... and I cannot find any likely listings at that index, BUT ... 1850 ... it is before the commencement of civil registrations of deaths in NSW, and so IF it were to be listed, it would be from NSW BDM Early Church Records, - Burials ... and these are definitely NOT the complete set of burials for NSW prior to civil registration ....

ADD
http://www.manillamuseum.org.au/
They may have lots of local knowledge regarding cemeteries in their district from mid 1800s...

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Majm mentioned that Richard Dawson, was a significant person, so for anyone interested:

Yes,  I and have already posted that live link too.

JM ::)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 01 March 19 10:49 GMT (UK) »
So, to summarise:

If they died in Manila, Philippines, the death cert for George  is as I gave yesterday and Shaun gave today:

GRO Overseas/Consular  Deaths 1849-1854 -  Vol 1   Page 703

This would be the same for Ann/Hannah

and can be obtained from the GRO:

Info for OP if they want to order from GRO

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#Overseas

If it was Manilla, NSW, then the record is most likely not  available.

Gadget

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 March 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes.

Also I have a note on a  Sydney NSW  baptism in 1846 for an Ann/e Jane BROWN, infant  daughter of George & Frances.  George's occupation is  Moulder at the Foundry.  I will get my actual copy of the Early Church Record out tomorrow.

I have a wallpaper collection of BROWN from NSW bdm ECRs but mainly Sydney for 1840s.

JM