Author Topic: william mate  (Read 1366 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
william mate
« on: Thursday 28 February 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
This is part of a previous enquiry.  I was looking for a William Mate who is associated with broadside ballad printing as conducted by a Charles Mate in Dover.  I've found no evidence that the two were related...

William Mate (I think) was born in Dover in 1769 to George and Mary.  There are records of a William Mate, a Victualler, in Dover Poll Books in 1832 and 1833: could be one and the same but the 1769 man is recorded as dying in 1833.

'My' Mate might well have been some sort of entertainer (which doesn't preclude him having a day job). He wrote and performed two ballads about Napoleon: one refers to Napoleon's retreat from Moscow (1812) and the other to the battle of Leipsic (1813) which gives us a period of time to conjure with.   Charles Mate printed both ballads and thee performance took place in the Deal Theatre.

But I have absolutely no other information about William; nor can I find any about the Deal Theatre except that it was one of several in a southern circuit (Dover, Margate and so on).

Any clues, anyone?

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: william mate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 19 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Kent archives might hold information about the theatre:

https://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/kent-archives
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 March 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Nanny Jan - no luck so far in Kent archives.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 13:36 BST (UK) »
Have had an enforced absence from research but now trying to get on the trail again.

My previous thoughts would now appear to be wide of the mark.  The better bet for W. Mate (I'm risking the assumption that this is William) is one born in 1786...This WM is recorded in the 1841 census, where he is described as a Mariner.

My chief pursuit (featuring in other related enquiries on Rootschat) is in respect of Charles Mate, printer in Dover, who also spent time at sea before engaging in theatrical management and in printing.  His son, another Charles, unfortunately met his death whilst loading a ship.

But the juxtaposition of occupations may suggest an extended familial connection.  W. Mate is not a son of the elder Charles...Maybe somebody can offer clues viz close or distant family.  I have been unable to pin down W. Mate in any other way so far - except that he presented two ballads composed by himself at the theatres in Dover and Deal, both ballads featuring Napoleon (Moscow in 1812 and Leipsic in 1813).  Nothing has emerged in the history of these theatres - lamentably served by historians - during the time of the Mate complex.  Nor have Kent archives (online) or the university been of help.

I'm left with the Napoleonic dates that fall easily enough into the time-scale suggested by the life-span of W. Mate as noted above; but it is all pretty vague so far.

I apologise for going on at length - but would be grateful for any guidance.

roly

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
Kentish Gazette, 25 Nov 1845
DEATHS
Mate - Nov 7th, at Dover, Mr William Mate, over-sea pilot, age 62

Possibility for the 1841 William, born 1786 (ages rounded down on this Census)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal, 24 Jan 1815

DOVER THEATRICALS - On Wednesday night Mr Montague took his benefit under the immediate patronage of the Earl and Countess of Guildford ..... The performance was Tobin's celebrated comedy of the "Honey Moon"; with Foote's excellent Farce of the "Mayor of Garrratt". Mr Montague supported the part of the Duke of Aranza with the most happy effect; nor was he inferior in the character of the Mayor of Sturgeon in the Farce. Mr W. Mate, as Lampedo, depicted the voracious appetites of the sons of Esculapius on the pockets of their patients, with great success; and in his favourite part of Jerry Sneak, in the Farce, met with the most rapturous applause ....".

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
British Theatre Comprising Tragedies, Comedies, Operas and Farces from the Most Classic Writers, with Biography, Critical Account and Explanatory Notes - 2nd Edition.
Owen Williams Esq, 1831

The Mayor of Garratt
Farce by Samuel Foote. Like most of Mr Foote's farces it is built on personal imitation, yet retains so much of original character that the part of the Mayor and Jerry Sneak will ever be of value to actors of talent.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:34 BST (UK) »
William Oxberry's 1827 "Oxberry's Dramatic Biography or Green Room Spy" (google books) has an amusing reference to Samuel Thomas Russell pursuing Charles Mate's daughter.

However, doesn't add to the William Mate  you are interested in identifying.