Author Topic: Forfar addresses  (Read 2602 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forfar addresses
« on: Thursday 28 February 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple of places mentioned in census transcriptions which I am struggling to locate; Chapel Park Forfar (1841 & 1851) and Toyhillock 1891
I generally use a combination of NLS maps, Google & the OS Place Names books but have drawn a blank with these. I guess Toyhillock may be the name of a house, I have seen it referred to in old trade directories for Forfar but that doesn't help narrow down the location! I am fairly sure (based on other residences for these families) that these places are within Forfar town or very nearby.
Any help appreciated.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Forfar addresses
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 19 20:57 GMT (UK) »
There's a Chapel Park House on Academy Street in Forfar. Academy Street is also the site of the old Chapel Park School

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 19 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I have also just checked and my 3xgt Uncle and his family also lived in Toyhillock in 1891 so not a house but a street
Other addresses I have for them are Prior Road or roads coming off Prior Road so possibly in that area

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 19 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I know that I ought to know the answer to this, because it rings a very strong bell. There were a dozen households in Chapel Park, Academy Street, in the 1881 census, and the Old Parsonage was listed in the middle of them. It stood to the west of the Academy, on the north side of Academy Street.

The school in Academy Street was originally the Burgh Academy, built in 1815. After the Academy moved out to its new concrete-and-glass monstrosity on the north side of the town, the old Academy was turned into a primary school and named Chapelpark School. It is a category B Listed building. I gather that it has now been/is now being/is about to be converted to flats.

Chapel Park House is still listed in the post code directory in my possession.

Toyhillock rings no bells, and it isn't listed in the post code directory, and I have not found it in a valuation roll. It's not in the 1881 census either (barring creative spellings).

What are the names of the folk you found in Toyhillock in 1891?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »

What are the names of the folk you found in Toyhillock in 1891?
As Cristeen is offline my family is Alex Clark age 51 his wife Helen age 53 this is from Ancestry so could be a mistranscription his other addresses were Headingstone place Prior road and William Street so possibly in that area

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.

Valuation rolls for Alexander Clark at that end of the town
1866 Heading Placeton
1872 Heading Place Stone
1873 Heading Place Stone
1874 Heading Place Store
1885 Headingstone Place, 49 Prior Road
1886 Headingstone Place, Prior Road
1887 Headingstone Place, 49 Prior Road
1888 Headingstone Place, 49 Prior Road
1892 5 Prior Road and 56 Prior Road
1895 1 Prior Road and 1 Headmingston St 17 Prior Road
1894 1 Prior Road and 1 William Street
1895 40 Prior Road and 1 William Street

More available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - index is free to search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Have checked Toyhillock in the Ancestry 1891 census against the valuation rolls and the 3 I checked are all living at Headingstone place Prior Road so must be a transcription error and should be Headingstone although how they got Toyhillock from that ??

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Have checked Toyhillock in the Ancestry 1891 census against the valuation rolls and the 3 I checked are all living at Headingstone place Prior Road so must be a transcription error and should be Headingstone although how they got Toyhillock from that ??
Have you not looked at the original census?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 February 19 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you not looked at the original census?
No as I only noticed my 3x gt Uncle was there with his family on searching Ancestry to try and find it for Cristeen