Author Topic: sixes or zeros?  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sixes or zeros?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 28 February 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
it would work perfectly if Jayne's Martha and my potential Edward in Great Ness were siblings.

However, that Edward DOES have a sister called Martha, but born in 1849 and visible on all censuses since then - so not the same person as Jayne's Martha.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 28 February 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Relationship could be cousin with a remove. Most of my (proven) 3rds are 120-170 cMs.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm back to pencil and paper.

As I see it:

Edward b1845 is my Great great grandfather.  Martha b 1855 is Jayne's Great great grandmother.

1.   If Edward and Martha could be siblings, then Jayne and I would be 3rd cousins. However, there is no sign of that. The potential Edward (age 6, in Great Ness in 1851) already had a sister called Martha, and it's a different person.

So either this Edward is not my Edward, and I have to look elsewhere for an Edward and Martha Jones b 1845 and 1855 as siblings, OR Jayne and I are not straightforward 3rd cousins.

2.   To be 3rd cousins once removed, Jaynes Martha could be the sibling of my Edward's father.
OR My Edward could be sibling of Martha's father. (I've stuck with fathers, because of the Jones name but there are other possibilities of course, with different Jones families marrying in).

4. To be 4th cousins, my Edward's father and Jayne's Martha's father would have to be siblings (again with the caveat re the Jones surname.)

I'll mull that one over and see if anything jumps out at me.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »
So,  looking at option 4, that doesn't fit well with my potential Edward, because  I think his father only had sisters.

I'm fairly sure this is them in 1841

HO107 Piece:916 Book/Folio:1/12 Page:17 
 Kington, Ruyton Of The Eleven Towns
JONES, John 45  born 1796 Shropshire Potential GGGG grandfather
JONES, Martha 45  born  1796 Shropshire  Potential GGGG grandmother
JONES, Harriot    20 born  1821 Shropshire
JONES, Edward  20  born 1821 Shropshire   Potential GGG grandfather
JONES, Elizabeth  12 born 1829 Shropshire
JONES, Mary  9  born 1832 Shropshire
JONES, Ester  6  born 1835 Shropshire

This implies that either this Edward and his family are not mine, OR that Jayne and I are  third cousins once removed rather than fourth cousins. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at :

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

and check your shared matches.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at :

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

and check your shared matches.

If I'm reading that right, 107  means there's a high probability of it being closer than a 4th cousin relationship.

Jayne and I don't share matches with anyone else in the database (if that's what you're asking). I feel very lucky that there was one person there to lead me back to Shropshire. All the other matches are either people I know about already and/or are related to a different part of my tree or don't have any trees up to compare with.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 28 February 19 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Not necessarily - the range is fairly wide. Snip shows the full relationships. The other side are the half ones - 2nd marriage etc., which I've not snipped.

modified snip

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 28 February 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. I couldn't get to a chart like that, so I'll have another go, although I should probably pack in for tonight and come at it fresh.

EDIT: I see it now - I just hadn't scrolled down far enough. Must be tired.