Author Topic: Robert Reid  (Read 413 times)

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Reid
« on: Thursday 28 February 19 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in  any details about Robert Reid 'a forebears.
He married Mary Ferguson ( daughter of Donald Ferguson and possibly Katharine Sutherland )  in Inverkeithing Fife in 1804 and they had 2 children that I can find. Jean In 1806 and  Robert in 1809.
Robert junior was baptised in February 1809 and described as a Posthumous child so Robert senior must have died in 1808 or very early 1809.
Present at the baptism was a John Reid who perhaps was Robert senior's father or brother
Looking for Reids in Scotland is like trying to find a needle in a haystack so I'd be grateful for any information  anyone has.
Many Thanks
B

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Reid
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 19 03:10 GMT (UK) »
What resources are you using to find this information?
Scotlandspeople is probably the best site for all things Scottish, if you're not already using it.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 19 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've used lots of resources including Scotland's People, which as you say is very useful. I was hoping to find the births of Robert senior and Mary and get another generation back. I think I might have to let this one rest as the trouble is as often happens with common names, lots of possible matches and lack of information.
Cheers
B

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 19 11:16 GMT (UK) »
REID Marriages;
Inverkeithing Fife 1800-1820

JOHN R to Isobel THOMSON 18 June 1803
ROBERT R 1 August 1804 you have
JAMES R to Elizabeth WESTWATER  4 November 1804
EVANDER McIVER R to Margaret THOMSON 1806
GEORGE R to Margaret LAMB 2 May 1816

May or may not be siblings of Roberts Marriages.

ROBERT Reid  birth  20 January 1780 Inverkeithing to JAMES Reid/Margaret Walls

Cant find any other children to them on Familysearch but there must be as they married 9 December 1774   Inverkeithing, Fife
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow
Many thanks for these.
Will investigate them this weekend.
B ;)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 March 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 19 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh Dear,
I have made a basic mistake here.
I looked at Robert Reids death certificate and it looks like his mother wasn't  Mary Ferguson as I thought.
His father was Robert  but it looks like his mother was called Janet (possibly ferguson) but cannot find a marriage for his parents. One step forward and two back. >:(
Tried to attach vile but too large.
B

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 March 19 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Quite a problem there.
Although the info on a Death Cert is only as good as the informants knowledge.

Although on Census Robert says he was born c 1812/1813.

Its not my area of expertise but can you possibly cut/paste the part of the Death Cert with his Mothers mn?

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, will try to do that later today.
Thanks
B