Author Topic: Shipping: New Zealand to San Francisco  (Read 637 times)

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shipping: New Zealand to San Francisco
« on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I need a shipping report for the arrival of the "Pilgrim" which left Auckland NZ on Nov. 18 1849. With Mr. and Mrs. Scott and child on board. The Pilgrim was at Pitcairn Island on 26th March 1850, so I calculate she arrived in San Francisco May/June of that year.  Mr. and Mrs. Scott were John Scott and his wife Mary Georgina (nee Sampson) Scott and the child was their niece Camilla Beverly Scott Sampson, an early pioneer in Marysville Yuba County, California. Her father was Charles Beverley Sampson, also on the voyage. I have evidence that John, Charles and Camilla were all in Marysville in 1853 but no mention of Mary Georgina. If shipping records of passengers and manifest, or newspaper clippings exist for the Pilgrim, I'd really like to know, or, if MGS died on the voyage.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping: New Zealand to San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 19 16:43 GMT (UK) »
The existing incoming passenger lists for San Francisco are indexed at ancestry.com, according to this site. I don't have a subscription, maybe someone else does and will transcribe a record for you, if there is one:

San Francisco Passenger Lists 1850-1864
Information on the Books by Louis J. Rasmussen

https://www.germanroots.com/miscports/sanfranciscolists.html

------------
I didn't find the Pilgrim listed here:

Ship Passengers ~ Sea Captains
The Maritime Heritage Project ~ San Francisco 1846-1899

https://www.maritimeheritage.org/passengers/wm072850.html

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 21 00:41 BST (UK) »
The world state and the USA elections preoccupied me for some time, but I did find the arrival for the Pilgrim in a San Francisco paper. as follows
Shipping intelligence
Port of San francisco February 5 (1850)
Arrived
British barque Pilgrim Francis 77 Days from Auckland, with 54 passengers

Unfortunately that is all there was and there was nothing about the passengers except the number. Still looking for what became of Mary Georgina Scott. Not mentioned in the Probate for her Brother John Sampson, died san Jose 1850. All Mary's living sisters petitioned for a distribution from John's intestate estate but Mary Georgina was not one of them.  Her husband John was in Marysville Yuba, County California during this protracted probate, but later married as a widow, in England, 1854. So, it comes back to where and when she died. Between 1849 after leaving Pitcairn, arrival in San Francisco on 5 February 1850 and John Scott signing papers for John Sampson Probate in Marysville 26 September 1850.
My original estimate of arrival was based on the entry of Walter Broadie's diary about Pitcairn, and was written retrospectively, so incorrect for timeframe. So, the question still remains. At sea? In San Francisco, or somewhere between that town and Marysville.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 21 06:35 BST (UK) »
I currently have access to ancestry.com and looked in the source I mentioned earlier:

San Francisco Passenger Lists 1850-1864, by Louis J. Rasmussen
it was a 5 volume series - ancestry has the first 3 volumes. In the forward to Vol I the author says the original government records of arrivals were destroyed by fire. To reconstruct his list of arrivals he used contemporary sources such as newspaper lists, journals, etc.

Volume 1 only includes ships that arrived in 1850. They are in alphabetical order. The Pilgrim is not mentioned.

Volume 2 begins in April 1850 and goes to Nov 1851. Volume 3 continues from there to June 1852. The germanroots site I mentioned says Vol 4 takes up in June 1852. I don't see a reference to Volume 5 in a quick Googling of the title, so maybe he didn't finish the series.

At any rate, Vol 1 was your only hope and the Pilgrim was not included. I don't know why. It's too bad, because if she had died at sea that might have been mentioned on the list of passengers.

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 21 08:06 BST (UK) »
It was sheer good luck that I found the shipping arrival for the Pilgrim as it was a tiny mention squashed in between other arrivals. I had read that shipping data had been lost in a fire, but thar some had been reconstructed from newspapers. I also trawled through brits lost at sea, but didn't find anything there either. Thanks for your help thus far OOH. I shall keep looking.